Any 'gotchas' for retrofitting a late 3rd gen or 4th gen Delco stereo in 1984 model?

Got an '84 Firebird and am interested in a newer factory AM FM CD Player to retrofit. I just want something inexpensive and functional, I don't care about awesome sounds and I dont' want anything of interest to a thief.

I noticed on ebay most used units found by searching 'pontiac CD player' seem to have a codetheft light - that might be a problem. Sounds like you have to pay the dealer and show proof of ownership (ebay receipt?). Anybody gone thru this before?

Any problems w/ non-Firebird specific Pontiac units retrofitting like out of Grand Ams, Vibes etc. etc... Ultimately if the connectors are different it's a matter of figuring out power and speaker wires and splicing I guess...

Some of the Chevy units look a lot better w/ nicer looking buttons that match the interior of an early 3rd gen better I think - they have the greenish LEDs but otherwise to me looked like a better match design wise.

thanks for any help

Reply to
LoadHawg

NO proof of ownership required. Get the radio you want, email me with what year and model vehicle it came out of {preferably Chevrolet}, I'll try to find a schematic so you know what wire is what. You will also need a factory radio harness connector. The theftloc is no problem, after you have it set up, I can tell you how to enable it or disable it, If its locked up I can access the factory unlock code. Just make sure it says theftloc on it and has the 6 preset buttons, 3 on top and 3 on the bottom for Chevrolet. The radios that came after that, wont work because they store the vin for the theft deterrant and wont work in your car.

Reply to
Jay