Any one put a 4L80E in a Third Gen?

I have been doing some head scratching lately. Every time I look at my

1985 Trans Am I keep thinking about transmissions.

At one time I was going to go manuial with it, yet I just haven't found a 4th gen parts car yet. Then I thought about going to a 4L60E. Then I though, why? It's no stronger then the TH700R4 I currently have. Then I thought 4L80E, with some sort of stand alone transmission controller, Since Im not going TPI after all.

As for WHY do I need a better transmission? Im going to be adding a few power goodies like the old Holley Street Dominator (now they call it a Contender) Intake, a Holley 4150 style 770 CFM Carb, possibly a new Cam (one I run the number off the current cam). I may also upgade to Dart Iron Heads off our 383, since no one has bought the engine, and slap my GM heads on it. Plus Im getting the hankering for a blue bottle in the hatch area too.

So concivibly Im looking to add from 100 to 350 HP (with N02 spray). Kind a bit much for a old TH700R4.

Charles Is Mustang Hunting Still Legal?

Reply to
Charles Bendig