Anyone tried this K & N FIPK?

http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/product.aspx?ProdW-3022-2
Here's the scam..... Even for a single dad I'm pretty cheap. And this is pretty pricey..
But the stock bellows on the back of the airbox is loose and kinda squirrley looking and squished. Sure didn't like looking thru the back of the airbox and seeing about 6" of a gasket hanging down the pipe towards the MAF either. Sooo...... I'm wondering about this setup as opposed to something like a standard cold air box coming up from under the radiator and just getting a new hose. For a daily driver car I sort of wonder about rain and such getting in what looks like a bare naked filter laying up there. No doubt it would breathe nice. Hell, if I sprang for a cold air box too, the filter might could breathe from all four sides! Just not all that sure about putting this on a street car. Anyone tried it? ~~~~~~ Bait for spammers: root@localhost postmaster@localhost admin@localhost abuse@localhost postmaster@[127.0.0.1] snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov ~~~~~~ Remove "spamless" to email me.

Scam?
How fast can you aford to go?

Allot of the old posters to this group had seen, or used K&N stuff. It works better then stock. On a stock motor will you see any gains? probably not in rear wheel HP. If your already pumping 450 HP, sure will.
As for streetablity, they work just fine. Instead of tossing out filters you clean, oil and reinstall. If your going to keep your car 10 years it will pay for it's self. Charles

~~~~~~ Remove "spamless" to email me.

I'll do the free ram air mod in the morning when my son's in school. By eyeballing it I estimate a good 1/3 of the filter has NO air flowing thru it with the stock airbox/baffle/plate. All this talk of filters is fine but, all things being equal, it's a good place to start to let the air thru the filter in the first place.
As for hoods, I think mine is an after market hood. Don't know that there are baffles per se in it. In any case, the hood intakes "ram" air in behind the intake on the air box. Nice to get air into the engine compartment, nicer to get air into the engine tho...
Kurt ~~~~~~ Bait for spammers: root@localhost postmaster@localhost admin@localhost abuse@localhost postmaster@[127.0.0.1] snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov ~~~~~~ Remove "spamless" to email me.
: ~~~~~~ : Remove "spamless" to email me.
I and others have posted on this topic till we are blue in the face. Do yourself a favor and please search google before you start hacking up your vehicle.

~~~~~~ Remove "spamless" to email me.

run my CD ROM and CDRW. Recently upgrading my older son's system tho I gave him my old CD ROM and got a nice 68pin black face CD ROM for my system so it went on the 68pin bus. Since they're on separate SCSI segments each card can run 16 drives for 32 total. I have a huge tower case but not even I am going to stuff than many drives in a case. Think I ran as many as 10 or 11 in the system before with the CD and CDRW but that's been a while. Suprisingly the 15k drives are quieter than the 10k drives. I think it's just more recent technology that accounts for it tho. Bought 5 matched ultra160 drives last month with the thought of running them in a RAID array but haven't found the controller I'd like yet. I've run these drives (or rather this many but older lower capacity) in different flavors of DOS, DesqView, Win 3.1, 3.11, 98, 98SE, ME, and now 2K. Didn't like XP. They all spin down when they're not used in a while. Do IDE drives spin down? One nice thing is after the system POSTs and the SCSI bios starts spinning the drives up, I can tell it which drive to boot from. Takes maybe 10 seconds. I suppose I could have 8 separate OSs on the 8 different drives. One of the drives is a mirror of my boot drive. If anything goes wrong with my boot drive, I can just boot from the other and nothing is lost. Makes for peace of mind....
Kurt ~~~~~~ Bait for spammers: root@localhost postmaster@localhost admin@localhost abuse@localhost postmaster@[127.0.0.1] snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov ~~~~~~ Remove "spamless" to email me.

: : Ahhh, no, you misunderstand me.
Ahhh, no I don't.
: I was giving an example of 'tweaking'.
The example you sited was the "free" ram air mod. If you wish to retract that statement, fine. But it is this exact wording and concept that an number of us will take issue with.
: I am well aware of the origins, meaning, and present connotations of the : word hacking. Like so many other things the word has been twisted out : of it's original meaning and.... intent. : Yes, I read and believe I understood your message. : I only took mild offence at the inference that whatever modification I undertook : might be described as hacking; yes in the mechanical sense. : Hacking automotive wise may cover a multitude of sins;
You can take whatever offense you like. I don't really care. I'm offended that you _continue_ to respond without having read any previous posts on the issue. That would clarify a great deal where I stand and pretty much every other person who has taken the time to educate themselves on this topic.
: : There are those who shorten the EGR stub that hangs down behind the : throttle body all the way to the pivot shaft of the blades; hacking in the : mechanical sense.
That can hardly be considered hacking. NO where near the same as mangling your lower airbox and air baffle. In fact, the modification to the EGR pipe you site is a fairly decent one for anyone with a < 2000 model year LS1. You're not going to gain much, but have at it.
: : Those who swap or reprogram the ECU chip; an example of both computer : and electronic hacking.
Surely not. This is nothing more than reprograming your spark curve and timing.
: : Those who remove the screen of the MAF that protects the sensor wires : beneath; not strictly hacking but close enough.
Many MAF sensors are manufactured w/o a screen simply by virtue of the fact that anything that's big enough to fit through your airfilter sure as heck isn't going to be stopped by a MAF screen.
: : And a host of other activities. : While we're on the subject, I trust you didn't have to put that Corsa exhaust : on the car because the stock plumbing fell off. I suppose paying a man with : an acetylene torch is not hacking if you don't personally do it.
Like the typical troll, you're clearly off on your point and losing the arguement so you attempt to attack me. I didn't pay anyone. I do my own work. And I didn't destroy my OEM equipment. I removed it whole and intact. Of course, if you educate yourself on the following, you'll be able to do the same:
1. Panhard Bar 2. Rear Stabilizer Bar (often called rear "sway" bar) 3. Control Arms 4. Shock Absorbers 5. Suspension Coils (or springs)
: : The SLP instructions for your Cold Air Induction kit, from the pdf on the SLP site : state; : "2 Refer to diagram "A" for lay-out and trimming of the filter base assembly. : A bare hacksaw blade will work best to cut this plastic, or a sharp pair of aviation : snips can be used. The dashed lines on diagram are the lines to be cut. : Remove each panel and discard."
There are plenty of tools that will cut straighter and smother than any of the items SLP has in their crappy instructions. And if a person is not smart enough to purchase back up OEM parts for those you modify, then they aren't smart enough to be working on their car.
: : I must admit to a certain wonderment as to where you get your definitions. : Taking a torch to whack off 40 pounds of metal on your car and taking a hacksaw : to your airbox is modifying, whereas if I take a dremel tool to my airbox I'm : hacking at it.
Well, when/if you express your wonderment in terms a body can understand, and I'll do my best to clear it up. Argue all you want, but you're looking more and more tarverish. My definition of the work hack is an infinitive straight from the dictionary; feel free to look it up and further educate yourself.
: : In any case I have received some answers to my questions and I do appreciate it : but my initial thread is wandering far afield.
Doesn't sound like you're going to heed any of the answers you were given.
: I am holding off on modifications while I study the whole bumper to bumper package : a while longer.
First smart thing I've seen you post.
: I hope not to have alienated anyone for what is admittedly my : nitpicking.
You're alienating people by expressing your uneducated opinions and jumping to conclusions about me in your attempts to attack me.
: am a single dad trying to quit smoking which may have some : bearing on it.
Congradulations and good luck. Smoking is hard to give up.
OK

Asked wholly innocently, what is your opinion of the throttle stop mod? The mod is removing the extra material that prevents the WOT from bringing the throttle blade to 90 (or close to it). It would appear to be an exacting mod that might take tweaking the chip to compensate/use the mod to it's fullest advantage. I tend to think a larger bore aftermarket throttle body might be better all around.
Kurt

Bait for spammers: root@localhost postmaster@localhost admin@localhost abuse@localhost postmaster@[127.0.0.1] snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov ~~~~~~ Remove "spamless" to email me.

When I was doing the nitrous install I started looking into it. I was measuring around 4.12 volts at full throttle. After a bit of careful grinding I got all the way up to 4.18. I'm not convinced it's worth it - but... if you go too far, you can tap a bolt in there and use it as a throttle stop...
Ray

There's not a lot of material to the stop in the first place. If it was thinned too far, there'd be that much less that I'd be tapping. God knows I've not come close to the stop yet <G>. I was looking at a slightly larger bore TB like 58mm but now all of a sudden I'm seeing TBs billed as LS1 claimed to be up to 90mm. Don't think they're measuring where I am.
Might save that as final tweaking on newer hardware tho, dunno. That would be comfortably far in the future tho. Just taking a preliminary look at it. Thanks.
Kurt ~~~~~~ Bait for spammers: root@localhost postmaster@localhost admin@localhost abuse@localhost postmaster@[127.0.0.1] snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov ~~~~~~ Remove "spamless" to email me.

It is your car, you do what you want..but remember, that the filters in place now flow more than the vehicle can pull. If K+N was such a great thing, the factory would have put it in place from the word go, and when you start hacking on the car, you are killing the value of it. I recently looked at a 4th gen that someone had for sale, and the air box was one of the first places I looked. After I saw the destruction to the box, I slowly closed the hood and all I said was: We are done here. and started to walk off... He asked what was wrong, and I told him I didnt buy torn up vehicles....and left. Shame too, cause I was ready to pay what he was asking.

http://store5.yimg.com/I/afterthoughtsauto_1775_2676035
and the underside; http://store5.yimg.com/I/afterthoughtsauto_1775_2928604
First I've seen that seals the hood intakes to the airbox. They sell rain blocking plates with the kit. I'd think that rain would especially be a problem with it but perhaps dust from the road that is a factor in other cold air induction systems would be less of a problem. I emailed them to see if they have a pdf installation file so I can get a better look at things. With this aftermarket hood I may not be able to use it in any case.
Kurt ~~~~~~ Bait for spammers: root@localhost postmaster@localhost admin@localhost abuse@localhost postmaster@[127.0.0.1] snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov ~~~~~~ Remove "spamless" to email me.
Overlord wrote:

one of my car mags had an article like that. I thought about it, but I think the price was kinda high for a 2-5hp boost. For me, I'm hooked on Nitrous. 100 hp spray = 1 second off. The wife can still drive the car all normal until you arm it. ;)
Ray