Automatic Transmission Fluid Change Question

Automatic Transmission Fluid Change Question

I have a 1985 Camaro Z-28 with the 5L TPI engine.

Which is best, have the automatic transmission fluid completely changed (flushed) without changing the filter or is it better to drop the pan, replace the filter and top it of with new fluid to replace that lost when the pan was removed?

This is purely for maintenance, there's nothing wrong with the transmission.

thanks, Tommy

Reply to
Tommy

I would drop the pan, change the filter and top it off. That is also the recommendation from the manufacturer..

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Even if you have your transmission "flushed", They should drop the pan. The filter needs to be replaced every X number of miles. There is a magnet in the pan that needs to be cleaned when the pan is dropped.

One of my tricks to get more fluid out then normial with a simple pan drop is to leave the pan off for over 12 hours. You will find your transmission will take more then the stanard 4 quarts of transmission fluid this way.

If your transmission filter is over 2 years old. The filter neck may break off. If this happens do not panic. Get a Curved pick tool (I tend to use a cotter key/pin removial pick) and gently pull it down from inside of the neck. Make sure the gasket on the neck comes out as well. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig