Backfire question 327

My 327 has been backfiring when I torque brake. Nothing real loud, just a pop, but it's getting annoying not being able to flesh out the problem.

The timing is fine and it runs like a champ. I even rolled the timing back and forth a touch just to see if there was any affect, and there was none.

It doesn't do this any time except decelerating in gear. Any suggestions?

I know this has to be a simple fix, right?

-- lab~rat >:-) The less you care, the more it doesn't matter.

Reply to
lab~rat

Sounds like an exhaust lobe is wearing on the cam!

Common problem, sorry to say. But that's one ot the early signs.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish_King1

Do you have a Rochester quadra-Bog on it??? My buddy had the same problem. Think it was a bad plunger in the carb. In any case, check the carb. You have too much fuel going to the engine, for sure.

Reply to
James Alio

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 20:19:27 -0800, "James Alio" puked:

Edelbrock. Same solution?

-- lab~rat >:-) The less you care, the more it doesn't matter.

Reply to
lab~rat

When the accelerator pump dries or shrinks:

It's usually the other way around. Too little or sporadic fuel spray on acceleration.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish_King1

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:50:14 GMT, "Refinish_King1" puked:

But I have NO symptom other than the pop. It idles smooth and accelerates like a charm. And it started over night.

-- lab~rat >:-) The less you care, the more it doesn't matter.

Reply to
lab~rat

Look for:

A loose exhaust rocker, an exhaust valve that doesn't open as much as the others. If you have points and condenser, look for a high dwell, simulating retarded timing. Maybe from not greasing the rubbing block on the points?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 01:46:04 GMT, "Refinish King" puked:

I'll look for an exhaust rocker, good point. I have a pointless setup now...

Thanks.

-- lab~rat >:-) The less you care, the more it doesn't matter.

Reply to
lab~rat

Do you have an exhaust leak either on the pipes or at the manifolds? On the over-run when you step off the loud pedal, unburnt fuel will ignite in the exhausts with air drawn in through any exhaust leaks and hence your pops.

I had it on my 400 Pontiac - I discovered I had poorly sealing / damaged gaskets at the centre exhaust joints on my headers. A set of good copper header gaskets solved the pops.

Reply to
Steve Brown

My pleasure!

Refinish King