Brake Problems...

Ok, I've noticed for a while that I am getting excessive brake dust, squeeking and scrapping noises from my front brakes.

I believe that calipers are not going back out when I release the brakes, and they are staying closed on the rotor. And that's where I'm getting the noises and excessive brake dust.

Any suggestions??

Do I need to rebuild my front Calipers?? Or is it the Sliders?

Any help would be great!!

Thanks.

2000 Camaro Z28
Reply to
Camarophreak

I doubt you need a rebuild on a 2000 model. (Doubt, but not going to rule it out.)

Tell us a little more about the rotors and the pads. You can't possibly be using stock rotors and pads. My guess is you probably just have pads with a bit more organic material in them than you are used to. The squeal is normal if you haven't put anti-squeal gel (or anti-squeal pads) on the BACK of the brake pad. (If I ever see someone put that silicone based anti-squeal spray on their pads and rotor....I will be forced to kick you in the jimmy.)

Anyhoo, more information needed on the materials of your rotors and pads.

Do you FEEL a friction point on the rotors while driving? Does the vehicle pull to one side or the other when initially braking?

GLK9MM

Well, changed the Rotors (GM OEM) and Pads (Durostop Reds) last summer at the same time.

I've tried the Anti Squeel Gel (On the back of the brake pad!!) and did not seem to stop the squeeling?? I was told it was just those brand of pads. The dust builds up and that is what is causing the squeeling.

But who knows, it could be the caliper!! I just want to know before I spend the cash on the rebuild kits if that's the problem. Or is it the lack of lube on the sliders??

And the only time I feel the friction point is only when I first start to go...like when I back up, put it first without touching the brakes, drive for a bit, then when I touch the brakes for the first time, the noise goes away!??

And yes, the car pulls to the left sometimes when braking hard.

Steve

Reply to
Camarophreak

Not sure of the quality of Durastop pads. AutoZone?? Try OEM pads.

Very likely. Increased metalic content in the pads = squealing. Increased organic compounds = dust

Metal, not the dust. Turning rotors and not washing them in soap and water can also embed the pads with metal and cause noise.

Highly unlikely.

Lack of lubrication will cause unusual/accelerated/uneven pad wear

Reply to
David McNally

Durastop pads are just re-branded AcDelco name brand. They're not bad, but I would go for a KVM or something along those lines.

GLK9MM

I'd say buy a new set of pads and do a new brake job. if you didn't have new rotors with the last one, buy them now. Thoroughly clean the new rotors with brake cleaner. Make sure you scrape any excessive rust off (I *lightly* clean up with a dremel and *lightly* grease) the sliding surfaces of the caliper and hub and make sure you lube the sliders (and/or get new parts) and inspect the calipers for any damage to the boot. My 'regular' brake jobs take about one to two hours (as evidenced by the front brakes on the ex-wife's car last thursday) New hoses if that doesn't work. New calipers last... Or just do the calipers and hoses together if you can live with a mystery and extra $s spent. In any case, do the last imediately if you don't fix the problem as it will save you having to buy yet another set of pads.

The Vampire, "Muffin Man"

Reply to
The Vampire Muffin Man

I have 99 camaro V6 and have same damn problem with no damn solutions

Reply to
JF