brake troubleshooting

After a 40 mile run , no problems, went to reverse my 85 trans am into the garage and the rear brakes seem to snatch on. forward seems ok, but wheels locking up in
reverse. I assume it's the brakes, maybe the handbrake cable? I guess the best thing is to raise the car and try and turn each wheel by hand but any other suggestions? thanks david

I would verify that your parking brake cable is releasing fully. Do you feel any jerking as you come to a stop? What I am after here is maybe you have a warped drum or drums too.
--
Mr. Floppy

Possibly as Mr. Floppy said:
Also, you might have the self adjusters on wrong, instead of adjusting, they apply the brakes.
I hope this helps.
Refinish King
PS Depending on the car, some vehicles had a problem with the wheel cylinders turning in the backing plates. Check if your wheel cylinders are solid, if you try to turn them with channel lock pliers.

says...

If your car has rear disc brakes it was pretty common for the hand brake levers(on the brake calipers) to get stiff or seize up over time. Shooting some WD40 on the pivot might loosen things up. Calipers run around $85 per side at NAPA.
The hand brake cables were plastic coated on 3rd-gens so I doubt the cables have seized up in the outer casing.
Dennis Smith