buffing out paint-- any suggestions??

Page 1 of 2
When I bought my Camaro (1968), about 1 year ago, it had just been repainted, not a show car quality job but a nice original looking matador red with the black bumblebee stripe.
The paint looks good, but I don't think it has ever really been buffed out and polished well. I've waxed it a few times, but I have a feeling this paint job could look better. There are also some light scratches in it, the type you get when your kids stand by the car & lean on it...
Anyone have suggestions as to how to buff it out? I do have an electric polisher but I'd rather use a little elbow grease and a pile of clean rags---
Terry
By the way, where abouts in Wi are you.. I travel from SW to NE from school to home.. and good ol Dennis is right in the middle of both.. lol.... but about those scratches... the kind that you get when YOUR kids lean up against it? Or someone elses.. lol.
--
Well catch ya later,
-Geno

school

long
brown
If she's still driving it when she turns 18 Ill drool. Charles
Lol.. yeah that would draw my attention.. lol... anyway, I'm going to school in Platteville, and my paarents live east of GB in Algoma, but I have beeen making quite a few trips to Wausau, Waupaca, and Rice Lake.. its either cars or women.. lol. Anyway, I agree with you on the drivinig the cars... I understand the whole save them so they are worth something, but why? Have fun with them.. DRIVE THEM.. RIGHT Dennis?? LOL
--
Well catch ya later,
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L w/T-tops (147k and going.. getting worried though)
I always say if you just want something to look at, take a picture or visit a museum. If you want something to drive... yeah baby. Drive them while there are still parts made for them. :)

On 24-Jul-2004, snipped-for-privacy@ihatespam.net (SgtSilicon) wrote:

That or learn to fab your own, or make buddies with a guy that does.. lol
--
Well catch ya later,
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L w/T-tops (147k and going.. getting worried though)
I'm talking with a guy now, that has a nice CNC,
Who might be interested in making me some steering knuckles, like Mopar did for the Daytona's with the V-8 conversion.
But for the J body GM. Instead of framing the whole next one I do, make it just a rear frame section.
So far I'm on my third one, and the PA State Inspection Quality Control, is on my ass about not getting specially constructed titles for these cars?
Fuck em if they can't take a joke?
Refinish King
(SgtSilicon) wrote:

I know you weren't asking the question of me but I noticed you said SW WI. Are you starting from the SW area of WI and going NE or just through SW WI? Reason I ask is that I live in La Crosse.
I start out in Platteville(SWWI) Then go "home" in Algoma(NEWI) My '88 Is being sotred and will be worked on in Waupaca though. And Terry, I am actually surprised, when I used to be a regular, It was just me and Dennis from Wi... glad to see there finally a few more.. lol. As to the cruises, for Cambirds I don't know of any around here.. wish there were though.
--
Well catch ya later,
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L w/T-tops (147k and going.. getting worried though)
I do wish there was more of a cruise scene around here, every weekend we go down to st paul mn there is a pretty good cruise scene. I used to live in Oshkosh, most of my relatives live in Green Bay so I know the "Fox River Valley" pretty well...AKA the "Redneck Riviera" !!! I know the Waupaca area a little, I used to go through there now and then. I used to go to Iola for the Iola Old Car show, haven't gone for a few years. I've lived all over in Wi. at one time or another.
Terry

I did finally get the opportunityy to get to the Iola show this year, lots of fun.. had no iidea there would be such a huge swap meet as well. And if you think that the FRV is the redneck area.. go about 60 miles east.. LOL.. This is the area that thinks filling a Camaro's gas tank full of red christmas sugar ups the resale value.. Too bad it costs about 1200.00 to repair.. grr..
--
Well catch ya later,
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L w/T-tops (147k and going.. getting worried though)
Getting a 6.6 soon? Which engine is that?

Well, technically not sure yet, haven't seen it yet, they say its a pontiac 400.. that came out of a 78 T/A.. but it COULD be an Olds 403 we just hope not. But either way, it has more potential.. and definately a conversation starter.. lol
--
Well catch ya later,
-Geno
1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L w/T-tops (147k and going.. getting worried though)

The stuff that I use is Mequires. Best stuff on the market. I start with a #6 and work up to #1, all by hand. You want to use lint free Terrycloth towels, from a automotive paint supply store. They must be silicone free!
For between rub out cleanings I use Maguire's Final Inspection. Heck I even clean sun glasses with the stuff. #6 will even take out light scuff marks from a paint trade, as long as it was a gentle one. Charles
I'll try
I'll try that Maguire's stuff, along with a lot of elbow grease-- Terry

free
it
I can give you a way that's much easier:
Faster, and will require less elbow grease. Plus muck less chance of sand or rub through.
No disrespect to Charles, he's a friend of mine, but I've been doing show quality cars for 36 years.
If you'd like my recipe, give me a holler.
Refinish King

be
Heck
OK RK, I ll bite too.. I m a hollering .. what s the recipe if you dont mind sharing and thx

start
lint
must
as
1500 to 2000 grit sandpaper the coarsest:
Sand in small areas, use a squeegee often, and listen for an eerie squeak, that's broken grit building up. Making really deep scratches.
Use a steady stream of water, from a big sponge while sanding or a small stream from a hose. Use your fingers sideways, or buy sanding pads made by a company named: Motorguard. they're hard on one side, and soft on the other.
At all costs, keep the sandpaper clean, because the broken off grit will make the scratches so deep, you'll never get them out!
Squeegee often, to see if it's smooth enough to move on to the next area. When done, use MaGuiars #2 and buff lightly with a terrycloth rag, available at AutoZone or advanced auto parts, until you see a good gloss. Then use MaGuiars #9 to remove any haze and swirl marks, you'll be able to see your self and shave.
Refinish King
PS Any coarser paper will require the use of an electric buffer.

Terry
long

or
Look old son, Im always lookin to learn new tricks. I Recommend Mec'g'scause I know it works. Just like I know PPG is the finish to use, all from first hand.. if youu know something I should try, or is plain better. By all means let me know. Charles (In Red-Neck 'Old Son' is a sign of respect)