It's with Maguiars too:
Just with finer sandpaper.
Please read the post?
Sincerely,
Refinish King

sand
show
plain
OK Now I really want to hear your paint buffing techniques, we have some nice weather this weekend so I'd like an excuse to spend a few days outside, working on the car...

start
lint
must
as
Heck I;m interested myself. I have some very light scratches, but it's on a different kind of paint job probably. I have a 2001 Z28 wit some light scratches like I said. What would you suggest for me if different than for Terry? I could even take digital photos and email them or post them on a web somewhere perhaps if it would help. Scratches are so light though, that it would be a challenge to get good pictures of it.
On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 23:32:08 -0400, "Refinish King"

What I posted will work on base/clear too:
Providing the scratches aren't too deep?
Does your fingernail get caught in them, when you put your nail right in them at a 90 degree angle?
Let me know?
Refinish King

start
lint
must
as
I don't have any scratches in my paint job that I can feel with my fingernail. All look real superficial, yet they don't come out with normal car wax.
I'd like to hear a little more about the sandpaper technique, this kind of makes me nervous-- you take some 1500 to 2000 grit sandpaper and start running it all over the car, with water running over it? Is it special sandpaper for 'metal', or is it for auto paint specifically? Sorry 'bout the dumb questions, but I've never tried that before, and this paint job cost 5K. Then, after going over all painted surfaces like this, you polish with the #2 Maguire's compound, then finish with #9? I guess I could start in an inconspicuous area of the car, or better yet do the family car first ('98 Malibu) to build up my technique, then proceed to the Camaro.
Thanks-- Terry
Terry wrote:

definitely. Get a scrap fender or use the inside of the trunklid first on the 'bu. My dirt track car has been a great learning experience for bodywork, paintwork and welding.
Lots of water and work lightly...
good idea, I'll work inside my trunk first...I used to do wet sanding years ago when I did some fiberglass work on an old Camaro I used to own...I remember that it is real slow work...

1500 $ 200 are made specifically for paint:
Actually, they are only half sheets in the package. you'll need to buy squeegees used to put on nitro-Stan, and a sanding pad, made by Motor guard. it's gray on one side which is hard, and black and soft on the other side.
The paper will wrap around it three times, and overlap on one side. you'll need a bucket full of water, with some dish washing soap in it, and a stream of water, I usually dip a sponge in the bucket and let it drain above the area I'm sanding.
Then sand lightly, and listen, also check often for built op grit and wash the paper. To not make deep scratches. Squeegee off the area every time you stop sanding, you'll see if the scratches are there or not. just light sanding, then stop, squeegee and check until you get the feel.
Then the scratches will be so fine, that you can use the #2 by hand to get a good shine, and the #9 by hand to see yourself!
Refinish King
PS Your 98 Malibu won't have as much paint as the car with the $5,000.00 paint job on it!

the
OK I'm gonna try this, I'll post the 'results', first on my Malibu then I'll proceed to the Camaro--
Thanks for the info
T.

of
this
the
the
Be careful around the corners and edges, even with 2000 grit paper. It doesn't take very much rubbing to go through the clear coat or color coat when all the sanding is focused on an edge.

wax.
kind
over
for
proceed
Good advice!
Stay at least 3/8's of an inch away from corners and lines of definition.
Refinish King

and
with
of
My pleasure:
Just remember, the Malibu has a lot less clear on it than the $5000.00 paint job does.
Refinish King

wax.
kind
over
for
proceed
I'll try that and see. Too late tonight but after work tomorrow I'll get online and report.
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:38:32 -0400, "Refinish King"

Try the stuff the pros use - check out these products
http://www.fareclausa.com/rubbing.htm
You have to buy it from a car paint supplier - not the local speed shop. You could email them to find your nearest stockist. Its expensive but the best.
They make a range of different products - your choice depends on how flat your paint is & therefore the degree of abrasiveness you need to bring back the shine & cut out any scratches.
Most bodyshops use powered polishers because of their throughput, but you'll get the same results manually - with more effort! Apply it to a wet good quality polishing cloth - not any old rags!
Good luck!

Overpriced repackaged shit!
You can buy 3-M over the counter for less money, without the risk of staining!
Refinish King
PS In 36 years, I've never seen that stuff in any auto body trade magazine, or any of the hundreds of body shops or recon shops that I've visited!

out
by