Camaro pulley

I have a problem with belt alignment on my car. It is a 1967 Camaro with a crate engine and short water pump. The problem I'm having is that the crankshaft pulley is in too far by ~1/4". This keeps the belts from lining
up with the water pump pulley. I need to find out if I have the correct pulley for this engine.
I have been told that the correct crank pulley for a 350cid/295hp is actually 2 pulleys, one for the alternator and A/C compressor that goes on first and another pulley that nests inside this one for the power steering. Is this correct?
The current pulley I have is a 3 groove pulley GM part # 3751232. It has the letters BB beside the part #. Maybe this stands for Big Block
Is there anyone out there that has any information on this?
Thanks
UPDATE:
My "3 groove pulley" was actually 2 pulleys that were half painted, half rusted together. Closer inspection revealed this and I was able to pry the two pulleys apart. This answered one part of my question. I still have a problem with the pulleys being in 1/4" too far on the crankshaft. Does anyone have any suggestions on why this is occuring or how to correct it?
thanks

lining
steering.
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:53:34 GMT, "David R. McCoy"

Here's something for you.,
http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/Power_Steering.htm#small
Good luck
...Ron -- 68' RS Camaro 88' Formula Bird
http://www.frontiernet.net/~rscamero
Some are wise and some are otherwise
Thanks Ron.
I did run across this website when I was searching for the part # of the pulley. What I can't figure out is why I have such a large (1/4") offset between the crank pulley and the water pump pulley. I thought that the water pump pulley might be incorrect but when I measured how much deeper it would have to be to line up with the crank pulley, I found out that it would be 1/16" or so from touching the water pump which seems to be too close.
Has anyone ever heard of using a spacer between the harmonic balancer and the crank pulley?

lining
on
steering.
I have had the same problem myself on two engines. I think the problem is the hubs aren't pressed on the correct depth on the water pump. I have taken a set of pulleys off of one engine that lined up fine, only to find they don't line up on my engine. I ended up running a set with about 1/4" miss alignment. That was about 12 years ago and I'm still driving it today with no problems. this is in a low rpm truck motor. but 1/4" over that distance doesn't seem to be a problem for me. One thing I can tell you for sure. don't buy any of those cheap chrome plated pulleys. They are never concentric and they always wobble. that will cause you many more problems than a 1/4" misalignment. - Gary

lining
steering.
Hi Gary,
Yes, I have used chrome pulleys in the past. I got poor results also. Regarding the misalignment, I suppose I could make a spacer between the crank pulley and the balancer. I would have to be sure that it is perfectly balanced since it would be rotating quite rapidly. That makes me think that I'd need to go to a machine shop. I keep hoping there's a less expensive solution.
When I bought this car 14 years ago, I noticed that after awhile I would get alot of "belt dust" on the alternator. By belt dust I mean that the belt was rubbing excessively on the pulley causing increased wear. I wasn't concerned about it at the time. Now, I think that is what might occur if a misalignment was present. I figured that with an new engine and water pump, the misalignment problem might go away but I wasn't that lucky.
Do you see evidence of increased belt wear on your truck?

with
on
has

perfectly
that
get
was
pump,
For 14 years the belts didn't align. So you use the same pulley on a crate motor with the same results? Egads! Call Year One and ask for the correct pullies.
http://www.yearone.com /
The wrong water pump and alternator pullies will destroy belts, and cause a 1/4 inch gap with ease. Over the last 54 years GM has made more pulley combinations that will bolt to a SBC then I could list in a week.
Charles
Yeah, that sounds bad doesn't it. Maybe I should clarify. I bought the car 14 years ago and drove it for about 1 year. It has been parked since 1991. When I installed the crate motor, I remembered that this misalignment that I see now was present back in 1991.

expensive
if
Hi Gary,
You were right about the water pump hub. I didn't have the tools to do it (large hydraulic press) but a friend did. He pressed the hub further in. It's running now with no alignment problem. Thanks for your help!

with
on
has