Camaro wiring...hopefully the last of my worries

It's been awhile since i've posted, probably because replacing the entire cars floorpans was a little more than the 'weekend job' i expected it to be. The last issue i posted was my speedo cable problem, which thanks toTerminal Crazy and Charles Bendig is now solved.

However, even since I removed a stupid old faulty Viper alarm system from the car, the turn signals dont work properly. The wiring in the car was mess, and its not much better now-but they dont make aftermarket wiring harnesses(like painless wiring harnesses) for an 80 Z28, so I think I'll have to deal with it.

The rear signal lights will light up but not flash, and the front 2 will do nothing. I bought a new flasher relay. I noticed one of the fronts is missing a bulb-and i read somewhere today that this might throw the flasher out of whack-does that mean i have to replace it again?

The tachometer also does not work. Im not sure if these are related, but any help with how to find out where to rewire these lights and tach so I can get the car ready for spring would be awesome.

Thanks again guys, Brian

Reply to
80 Z-28 work

Check the bulbs/cables, the flasher needs a load so it can get hot and break. If you jump the flasher pins the lights should come on or be able to measure a voltage at the lights. The flasher should be fine with a bulb out it will just flash a lot slower.

failing that check out the earth connections and that the bulbs themselves are working. I've seen them form a greasy green goo in the sockets that stop the bulbs working so check that as well.

The tacho signal (on my '78) was a tan wire I think coming out of the distributor plug and connecting to a Capacitor mounted on the bulkhead somewhere between the dizzy and brake servo / windsheild washer pump. check that the lead is still connected.

HTH

Reply to
Terminal Crazy

Let me sound like a broken record for a minute. Get a factory service manual wiring diagram. This will tell you specifics that you might not be able to find elsewhere.

With one bulb missing the side with the missing bulb shouldn't flash. The other side should. Use a test light, probe the signal wires back until you get flash, or solid power.

The problem with old car alarms is one never knows what that unit controlled or what "option" were installed with it. A lot of the so called "installers" of car alarms and car audio are nothing more then butchers.

You alarm could have been hooked in to the tach to show engine run, and the turn signals as well. Test for signal to the cluster at the wiring connector. Also check the tach signal connector on your HEI distributor cap. If the terminal is messed up, or the wire, you won't get a signal. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I have a manual with some wiring diagrams(same ones you can get offline), but I dont know what the abreviations mean, so its hard for me to tell what the wires are going to on the car. Painless wiring had a pretty helpful diagram in their tech support section, but I still don't know what's what and cant find out where the problem is.

I think a black relay that says Directed Electronics 610T, 12VDC,

40/30A. It was mounted under the lower lip of the dashboard, which painless wiring says is where the Directional Signal relay is located. It has black, green, and orange wires coming out of it. The only problem is that this relay came out with the alarm system.

I just need to know what to connect this to, I really think this is the problem.

thank you for your continued help and support

Brian

Reply to
80 Z-28 work

Post the abbreviations you don't understand. Just doing a quick look at a few web sites I couldn't find a turn signal relay for a 80 Z28.

Do your turn signals flash if you turn on the hazard lights? Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Are we talking about a relay or the flasher? The flasher should be the same for the Z28 as for other GM cars from the same era, and IIRC those were on the fuse block or right next to it.

Reply to
Cy Welch