Cat back! Looking for experiences, rumors etc.

Hi everyone. I'mm looking at getting a cat back system for my 2001 Z28. After a lot of checking things out, I think I will go with the SLP "Loudmouth II". Is there any big reason I should NOT do this or is there a reason I just HAVE to go with brand-x setup instead?

What do you or your friends have? Hooker, SLP LM or LM2, Borla, Magnaflow? How do you like? Among many other places, I have been to

so I do know about that.

I decided to not mess with the cat forward in order to avoid any EPA or engine issues. I was kind of thinking about headers but thought better of it. The extra performance would be wasted as I'm not a drag racer.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Its a little pricey, but I have a few friends that are running the GMMG. Sounds great.

The loudmouths in my opinion sound a little raspy at higher RPM's. But that's all up to you. Best would be to find someone local to you if you can to hear it in person. Personally, I went 3" true duals, xpipe crossover, over axle and LT headers.

Reply to
dle

Reply to
SgtSilicon

There is a possibility that it may have been the LM that I have heard. I still say go with the GMMG or TD's if you can afford it. But it is all about personal preference. Best bet I think still is see if there is anyone local to you that has a set up like you want or at least close and see if you can get a ride to hear it not only at idle but wide open on the road too. I assume you are on a few of the message boards?

Reply to
dle

I do not frequent the boards but have visited some a bit. I just ordered my LM2 today, along with a BMR strut tower brace.

I can't frigg>There is a possibility that it may have been the LM that I have heard. I

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Are you considering any of the 'free' mods to the LS1?

Reply to
dle

Reply to
SgtSilicon

I suppose before I suggest anything, I'd need to ask you what your plans for this car are. (i.e. daily driving, street/strip, strip only, autox) I'm assuming with the fact you bought a strut tower brace your are looking for more of a street/daily driving/road course car. And congrats on the LM2, hope it works out well for you.

Reply to
dle

Hello again. My plans are basically a daily driver but with a little extra flare perhaps. If I do any thing at the strip it will pretty much be to see what it's "got" as opposed to trying to destroy others at the strip. If I were going to get serious at the strip, I would have to go LT headers, slicks, high stall torque converter, performance cam, high flow fuel delivery and perhaps even a super charger and whatever else.

So I guess I'm interested in keeping things fairly stock and streetable. But pepping it up a bit os okay as long as it doesn't come with too much cost or trade-offs.

I like to drive it a little hard (not almost go>I suppose before I suggest anything, I'd need to ask you what your plans for

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Not sure what you mean by too much cost (that depends person to person). A higher stall converter and some LT's would wake up the car a lot as it sits. Even just going with a higher stall converter is always nice. But if you do don't forget to run a trans cooler. Have you ever taken the car to a dyno just to see what she puts to the ground as it sits? Also, don't forget to look into an upgrade to a 12-bolt or 9" rear. The 10-bolts and the A4 trans are kind of weak links in the cars.

You can check out my current set up here:

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/index.html

Reply to
dle

This is a strange thing. I have seen both good and bad regarding the 4L60E. A lot of the internal parts on these trans do not come hardened or in billet form from GM. They can go under too much line pressure. The 3-4 clutch pack can be a little weak in them even under stock power. Some people have gotten plenty of miles out of these transmission however for a run. One thing, don't ever manually downshift these transmission on the fly. Then again that is bad for most automatic transmissions. Some people say that W.O.T. runs while in OD is bad for them as well. If it ever starts to shift erratically definitely look have it looked at. Also, sometimes some issues with the transmission will throw a "check engine" light code.

That is another thing, a hand scanner would be a good investment ($100-$300) to carry around to read/clear engine codes.

The 10-bolt should be fine for street tires. If you ever throw any stickier tires on there (BFG Drag Radials or especially MT-ET streets) you would be living on borrowed time. The autos are a lot gentler on the 10-bolt.

Also, what part of the country/world are you in right now?

Reply to
dle

Hi. I'm the midwest and am in an area that has hilly terrain. I never "down" shift the A4 on the fly, but I do sometimes shift it from over drive to 3rd on the fly if going down a long hill or if driving a a lot of twisties. Once in 3rd I leave it there until I'm going to be on normal roads again for some time. Is it harmful to move from OD to

3rd?
Reply to
SgtSilicon

I can't quite say on the downhill part. If the trans is actually in 4th when you do that it might not live too long doing that. The stock trans don't really like the line pressure sometimes from the manual downshifting. If you're going to be in the hills a lot I would definitaley install a transmission temperature guage. A good trans cooler wouldn't be a bad deal either. A friend of mine is selling a new B&M one for the 4L60E trans actually.

Reply to
dle

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 09:44:30 GMT, "dle" puked:

I blew mine up with just normal (spirited driving). I'm thinking that it came tuned from SLP with hotter than normal shift points because it would bark the tires in second with no shifting and little effort...

lab~rat >:-)

Line pressure was probably set too high and/or it got too hot. What tires were you running?

Reply to
dle

A friend of mine has a 01' Trans AM Ram Air with SLP full length headers and the Loud Mouth system. It is by far the loudest street car I have ever heard, and the tone is amazing. They got quite a bit of power out of it too. I wouldn't go with any other set up.

Reply to
Z-28 IROC

Reply to
SgtSilicon

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:49:40 GMT, "dle" puked:

Some hard Daytons. I rue the day I didn't get a standard transmission...

lab~rat >:-)