Cat back! Looking for experiences, rumors etc.

Page 2 of 2
Even if you do run a transcooler, it would be worth your while to run a trans temp gauge as well. B&M just came out with a really cool one (part
#80330). These are in the new Blackout Series 2-1/16" gauges. High contrast lens, LED backlighting, full sweep, easy read in the day/night. The coolest thing about these gauges is they are blacked out when the car is shut off. These run about $80.
To mount one of these gauges it's pretty easy. There is a 1/8" NPT plug located on the drivers side just above the shift level on the transmission. This is where the sending unit can be mounted. Some of the transmission gauges that are on the market require you to tap a hole into the transmission pan itself.
B&M also makes some decent transcoolers as well. You should be able to get one through Summit or Jegs and I believe should run you around $100-$200.
If you want to avoid cutting up your dash, look for an A-pillar gauge pod mount. I think one of these can be found for around $50-$200 depending on if you want a 1, 2 or 3 gauge mount.
Depending how good you are with a wrench, it might not be a bad idea to take it to a mechanic that deals with installs like this. If your car is under warranty you might want to check with the dealer about the install first. These shouldn't void any warranty but would not be bad to check yourself first.
But if warranty is not of issue and you still do not wish to do the install yourself (I personally do not enjoy things that deal with wiring) you might check out either www.ls1tech.com or www.ls2.com and find a local shop that specializes in f-body's near you. Also, some of the sponsors on these sites can get you some good group deals on parts or just good deals in general. Also, you can do some further reading in the tech sections regarding the automotive transmissions and the different model numbers of transcoolers, guages, etc. available. If you do go to one of these boards, I would recommend www.ls2.com as sometimes the people on ls1tech can dip into the immature from time to time. But ls1tech does have some really go information regarding the 4th gen f-bodys.

Thanks for all the great info!

other good info snipped for brevity
You're welcome, best of luck on everything. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I'll answer them if I can. And tell you when I can't.

Guess what... I do have a trans-cooler already. For sure I don't have a temp gauge but might look into what you posted about. I would go with the A-pillar gauge housing setup if I were to do it. Should I get the single or are there other gauges that are a must? Seems the stock dash has most of the stuff needed?

The stock gauges are known to be slightly inaccurate, but not drastically for daily driving use. One of the after market coolant gauges would not be a bad idea actually. If you just want ones that look cool I have seen some that are a digital read out that cycle between air/fuel ratio read outs and can show you what codes you are thowing as opposed to just dealing with the 'check engine light'. But you can easily see what codes you are throwing with a hand scan tool. Fuel pressure is not a bad one either, but those usually are just ones you see in NOS/FI setups.

I think maybe just tranny temp would be enough. Everything else is covered enough for me. I did try to find the tran temp gauge you mention, but couldn't it for sale online. I found some pods on www.lmperformance.com but not sure if gauges are universal fit or if I would need the pods you mentioned for the B&M gauge.
Oh yeah, I already own a scan tool to be able to read and clear codes. Good thing to have for sure.

I put every one of the 76,000 miles on it myself. The way the tranny was set, second gear would chirp just by accelerating. I'm looking at the firmness of the shift point being the problem. -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
I would blame the line pressure being set wrong then. But its not unheard of for these transmissions to go between 50k-80k miles. That's about the going average actually from what I've read or friends have expeirenced.

And I don't necessarily baby my car. I don't abuse her, but I like to use the power...

A friend of mine has a 01' Trans AM Ram Air with SLP full length headers and the Loud Mouth system. It is by far the loudest street car I have ever heard, and the tone is amazing. They got quite a bit of power out of it too. I wouldn't go with any other set up.
Cool! I'm not doing headers (yet) but my LM is the LM "2" version which uses bullet race muffler instead of the LM resonator. It is supposed to be like LM only not quite as loud. The cool thing is though, you can buy the LM resonators and put them in direct fit where the LM2 bullets go. So if you wanted, you could change em back and forth in probably 15 20 minutes.
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:11:18 -0600, Z28 snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Z-28 IROC) wrote:

Hi everyone! Well, I got my SLP "Loudmouth II" installed a few days ago. Whoa! Nice! Awesome tone. Not too loud, not too quiet but juuuuusst right. Had an exhaust shop install it. They offered to weld some of the areas that the kit normally only gives you clamps for. Great job. Very happy with all of it.

ago. Whoa! Nice! >Awesome tone. Not too loud, not too quiet but

some of the areas that >the kit normally only gives you clamps for.
How much were parts and labor.??? I want one too.!!!
Hi. About $380 for exhaust (ordered it myself), and $120 for the labor.