Cat back! Looking for experiences, rumors etc.

Then I would have to go with either the line pressure was set too high or your transmission was too hot while driving sometime. One of the biggest killers of automatic transmissions is heat. A lot of people disregard this issue and end up with blown transmissions. Its not just the power that is being put through it. If you got a standard transmission, you might be looking at a dead 10-bolt rear then. That's one problem with the 4th gens. With the A4, you're on a ticking time bomb sometimes with the transmission. With the M6 you're on a ticking time bomb regarding the rear differential.

Also, did you buy this car new? If you bought it used the transmission could have already been abused and was just waiting to go. Another possibility is that someone put in a higher stall converter with too high of an STR rating. Higher stall converters also add a ton of heat to the transmission. Many people put in higher stall converters without adding a transcooler. The 4L60E really does need a decent transcooler stock. Another thing, the 4L60E is not very strong with W.O.T. runs while in OD/4th. When I race or go driving hard I'll leave it in 3rd and reserve OD for cruising.

Reply to
dle

SgtSilicon

Even if you do run a transcooler, it would be worth your while to run a trans temp gauge as well. B&M just came out with a really cool one (part #80330). These are in the new Blackout Series 2-1/16" gauges. High contrast lens, LED backlighting, full sweep, easy read in the day/night. The coolest thing about these gauges is they are blacked out when the car is shut off. These run about $80.

To mount one of these gauges it's pretty easy. There is a 1/8" NPT plug located on the drivers side just above the shift level on the transmission. This is where the sending unit can be mounted. Some of the transmission gauges that are on the market require you to tap a hole into the transmission pan itself.

B&M also makes some decent transcoolers as well. You should be able to get one through Summit or Jegs and I believe should run you around $100-$200.

If you want to avoid cutting up your dash, look for an A-pillar gauge pod mount. I think one of these can be found for around $50-$200 depending on if you want a 1, 2 or 3 gauge mount.

Depending how good you are with a wrench, it might not be a bad idea to take it to a mechanic that deals with installs like this. If your car is under warranty you might want to check with the dealer about the install first. These shouldn't void any warranty but would not be bad to check yourself first.

But if warranty is not of issue and you still do not wish to do the install yourself (I personally do not enjoy things that deal with wiring) you might check out either

or
and find a local shop that specializes in f-body's near you. Also, some of the sponsors on these sites can get you some good group deals on parts or just good deals in general. Also, you can do some further reading in the tech sections regarding the automotive transmissions and the different model numbers of transcoolers, guages, etc. available. If you do go to one of these boards, I would recommend
as sometimes the people on ls1tech can dip into the immature from time to time. But ls1tech does have some really go information regarding the 4th gen f-bodys.

Reply to
dle

other good info snipped for brevity

Reply to
SgtSilicon

You're welcome, best of luck on everything. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I'll answer them if I can. And tell you when I can't.

Reply to
dle

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:53:46 GMT, "dle" puked:

I put every one of the 76,000 miles on it myself. The way the tranny was set, second gear would chirp just by accelerating. I'm looking at the firmness of the shift point being the problem.

lab~rat >:-)

Guess what... I do have a trans-cooler already. For sure I don't have a temp gauge but might look into what you posted about. I would go with the A-pillar gauge housing setup if I were to do it. Should I get the single or are there other gauges that are a must? Seems the stock dash has most of the stuff needed?

Reply to
SgtSilicon

I would blame the line pressure being set wrong then. But its not unheard of for these transmissions to go between 50k-80k miles. That's about the going average actually from what I've read or friends have expeirenced.

Reply to
dle

The stock gauges are known to be slightly inaccurate, but not drastically for daily driving use. One of the after market coolant gauges would not be a bad idea actually. If you just want ones that look cool I have seen some that are a digital read out that cycle between air/fuel ratio read outs and can show you what codes you are thowing as opposed to just dealing with the 'check engine light'. But you can easily see what codes you are throwing with a hand scan tool. Fuel pressure is not a bad one either, but those usually are just ones you see in NOS/FI setups.

Reply to
dle

I think maybe just tranny temp would be enough. Everything else is covered enough for me. I did try to find the tran temp gauge you mention, but couldn't it for sale online. I found some pods on

but not sure if gauges are universal fit or if I would need the pods you mentioned for the B&M gauge.

Oh yeah, I already own a scan tool to be able to read and clear codes. Good thing to have for sure.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 23:50:08 GMT, "dle" puked:

And I don't necessarily baby my car. I don't abuse her, but I like to use the power...

lab~rat >:-)

Hi everyone! Well, I got my SLP "Loudmouth II" installed a few days ago. Whoa! Nice! Awesome tone. Not too loud, not too quiet but juuuuusst right. Had an exhaust shop install it. They offered to weld some of the areas that the kit normally only gives you clamps for. Great job. Very happy with all of it.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

ago. Whoa! Nice! >Awesome tone. Not too loud, not too quiet but

some of the areas that >the kit normally only gives you clamps for.

How much were parts and labor.??? I want one too.!!!

Reply to
Camaro Cowboy

Reply to
SgtSilicon