Change Oil Light Question

I have a 2000 Camaro SS with 15,000 miles on it. I store it winter/sprint and mostly drive it during summer and fall - less than half the year, rarely putting more than 2000 miles on it a year.

Last October I used Mobile One synthetic for the first time, it is now June and I have only drove 1,000 miles on the oil.

While driving today, the 'change oil' light came on for about 25 seconds and then disappeared and has yet to come back on.

My question is, does the light actually "monitor" the oil effectiveness or does it only a 3,000 mile calculator? Since the light went off ... is it ok to continue to drive with current oil because of the low mileage? I was going to change the oil again in the fall before I put the car away for the winter.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
buzzsaw

My understanding is that even with synthetic you should change the oil at least every 6 months regardless of the milage. With low milage you are going to tend to have more moisture type contaminents than with higher.

Reply to
Cy Welch

First question, and I'm assuming you do this when you change your oil, did you reset the Chaing Oil light? You stick the key in the ignition, turn to the run (NOT start), press the trip meter and wait until the Chaing Oil light flashes. It's now reset.

Now, as far as the oil monitoring system goes, it's not just a function of mileage. It is a function of RPM's as well. If the engine has been revved high for those 1000 miles, yes, you may have to change the oil. As far as the oil monitoring system measuring the effectiveness of oil, I do not believe that is the case. It monitors how many revolutions the engine has gone since the last oil change AFAIU.

Is it ok to keep driving with the current oil? I don't know. If you reset the oil monitoring system afer your recent Mobil 1 oil change and it comes on, I suggest you change it. However keep in mind that you are using Mobil 1 and synthetics can go longer between draining intervals. Also keep in mind that the Oil life monitoring sytem in your 2000 has a conservative program. I think they extended the interval in the 01 and

02 LS1's...

I have an 00 Z and put on about the same miles as you do. My oil change light has never come on and I've had the car since new. I change the oil once a year (Mobil 1)

HTH

buzzsaw wrote:

Reply to
Jimmy