Changing Front Wheel STUDS....wont come off....help

This is on a 79 camaro.... So 2 of my wheel studs are stripped and I can't get my lugnuts on...easy fix I thought but for some reason I can't get the rotor off to replace the studs... I removed the caliper and grease cap and nut/bearing shouldnt the rotor slide right off...am I missing something...Please tell me how to take this freaken rotor off...firestone wants 50.00 bucks...NO WAY...

Reply to
us marine

weird. it should just pop right off. maybe the rear wheel bearing is some how stoping it. does the rotor turn. or does the rotor flop up and down at the back bearing? could be the rear bearing came apart.

--

S.S.I.N.

Could be the emergency brake is engaged or heat searing.

Try a bit of white lithium or dura-lube - both can be found in the spray on variety. Allow the lubricants to "soak" in if you find heat searing to be a problem.

GLK9MM

get my lugnuts on...easy fix I thought but for some reason I can't get the rotor off to replace the studs... I removed the caliper and grease cap and nut/bearing shouldnt the rotor slide right off...am I missing something...Please tell me how to take this freaken rotor off...firestone wants 50.00 bucks...NO WAY...

There is nothing else holding it on at this point. give it few strong tugs and it should pop right off. For some reason the rear seal or bearing is giving you a little resistance. Pull it straight off with a hand on each side in the 3 and 9 position.

Reply to
Rommel

: : : There is nothing else holding it on at this point. give it few strong : tugs and it should pop right off. For some reason the rear seal or bearing : is giving you a little resistance. Pull it straight off with a hand on each : side in the 3 and 9 position.

I've actually had to use a 6lb hammer to get a set off. Sometimes, it ain't so easy bubba.

GLK9MM

If you needed a 6lb hammer to get an inner bearing rotor off, there was something very wrong, there is literally nothing holding it on after the nut and outer bearing is out. I could see the pancake style composite rotors being rusted on , not these skippy.

Reply to
Rommel

No way? Sheesh....ya cheap bastid..

Well...Buckwheat...its like this...you THINK its that simple, but its not. While you are right that there is "literally" nothing holding it on, there CAN be a couple of things that can cause it to be tight... One...if it was still rollin, we know that the bearings are not welded to the hub....or do we? What if its been overheated, and the inner race is stuck to the spindle on the outer bearing...hummm....could be..eh? No..thats right,..he said he had the outer one off....so...its not even remotely possible hes got a rear bearing thats given some trouble and he didnt know about it and its stuck?..no...of course not, not since the seal pops right out...(RIIIIIIIGHT) The rear seal, particularly if its older, as most are, is hard as a rock, or close to it...it might be sticking real damn tight, and the OP isnt sure how hard to pull on it to get it loose. Then, there is always the possibility hes trying to do this in -30F temps and the grease alone can seem to be like glue. What 2500lbs will move,

190lbs wont..so before you want to be all smartassed and shit when someones trying to help, remember that there is someone out there that has run into this more times than you.. Martin was on the right track, while you offered up little...other than a wisecrack about it and little else. >
Reply to
CBhvac

Psst... Front rotor...

Unless, of course, that's a parking brake that I have yet to run across on an f-body...

Reply to
SBlackfoot

Maybe I read it wrong, but I didn't realize he specified which set he was working on.

GLK9MM

well shit....it's right there in the damn subject! DOH!

GLK9MM

My God - this discussion group has become nasty! It appears that the rotor has overheated at some point and caused some damage. In most cases, the inner wheel bearings have fused to the axle shaft, which requires that you pound off the rotor, with whatever, grind off the inner bearing, replace the rotor, bearings, and whatever. If the axle shaft is damaged, in anyway, it should be replaced. Not too expensive if you do it yourself. Does not require a lot of tools - just time. Hope this helps!

Reply to
JRoach7808

Not really..you must be new here...it has always been like this for some...particularly those that think they have a crystal ball, and let the world know it..

LOL..ok...but that be the case...you can forget the wheel turning..and I get the feeling that wasnt his problem. And the fact that the bearing itself normally will come out, leaving the race behind..

Depends....

Unless of course, hes got a set of spindles that cost over $400 a side....like some of us do....

Reply to
CBhvac