Converting from fuel injected 305 into a carburated, HELP!

hello everyone, new to the group and I need some help please! I currently have a 91 camaro rs with a fuel injected 305 and I ma wanting to convert into carburated. I have obtained an edelbrock high performer intake manifold and a 750 cfm carburator. I need to know what specific changes I will need to make and what kind of troubles to expect. Any input would be highly welcomed. Thanks in advance guys.

Michael

Reply to
gotmyhawk

I'm not quite sure why you would want to do such a thing.

You will need to ditch the computer, replace the distributor with an HEI unit from the mid to late seventies, and replace the fuel pump with a lower pressure unit intended for a carburetor.

Also, a 750 seems like an awful lot of carburetor for a 305. I wouldn't recomend anything bigger than a 600.

Why do you want to get rid of the fuel injection anyway?

Reply to
Gary - KQ6RT

What's up gary, well a numbskull friend of mine was telling me that I could get a more horsepower gain from the conversion and had more doors opened up for me by going the carb route. Also I was dealing with some plugged injectors that are almost $300 for the pair. He was telling me that for right at about the same amount of money we could make the swap and get more performance out of it. Now after ordering the parts frm summit I'm not really sure what direction to take. I want to get the car running fast and he was saying that we could have the car running in less than a week. So should I just return the parts and get the money back and just go the injectors? also when the car was running it was real sluggish. What changes can I make to hype the performance some.

Mike

Reply to
gotmyhawk

First off, your friend is a LIAR. On every single independent test, fuel injection out performs carb setups with flying colors. Second off, for three hundred dollars you could build one mean FI application. If you really want to upgrade your fuel/air delivery, get a computer chip, get some bigger injectors, and get a 52 mm throttle body. It's not worth converting a 305 to a single carb, and I'm assuming here, that you have very little modification done to the car already.

Reply to
FBodyFreak

On 16 Aug 2006 09:44:34 -0700, "FBodyFreak" puked:

What if his friend was just misinformed? Jesus, Freak, sometimes wrong info isn't malicious in intent...

lab~rat >:-)