Dynomax muffler for V6 Firebird?

Hello.

I have a 94 Firebird V6, and I believe it has a stock GM muffler on it right now. I realize it is only a V6 and its not going to sound like a V8, but I am finding that the exhaust sounds very weak and "rattly" with whatever I got on it now. I don't know how old the exhaust is, as I have only owned the vehicle for 1 year now. I am considering to purchase a high performance muffler, like a Dynomax. Does anyone know if this is a good choice? I don't want any fancy tailpipes or anything like that, I want to retain the stock look, but I have no experience with this or other exhaust products. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Cylon

No don't get it.. Go with Borla:

Frizzle

Hmm.. I might have bought borla had they had it when I was looking for a muffler.. I bought a flowmaster crossflow. Like this borla muffler it reuses the tail pipes so the stock look remains. The flowmaster is pretty loud, particularly at WOT, but it's got a nice sound to it and I drown out the sound with my stereo. The borla is lifetime warranteed so that's not a bad selling point. I bought my muffer from Jegs.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

I forgot to mention that my car is a 305 V8 with a supercharger

Reply to
Bruce Chang

i agree on the borla.... i'm about to buy one for my 00 v6 firebird. has a real good rumble to it, nothing that drones out.

jack

Reply to
Jack Conley

FireBirdMan snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Frizzle) wrote in news:17352-40CF5D2C-314 @storefull-3171.bay.webtv.net:

In the last couple of days I have been calling muffler shops/suppliers and researching the various brands of muffler. I notice from searching on past threads in this ng, the popular choices for mufflers are the Borla and the Flowmaster. I have come to the conclusion that in order to get the correct muffler, I will have to basically go by the recommendations of people here, then find the exact product, buy it and take it to the muffler shop and simply tell them to put it on my car. The muffler shops in my area are pretty incompetent when it comes to selection, let alone getting you prices and specs. The two major chains here being Midas and Speedy Muffler.

Problem is though, I am getting confused over all the different choices. On Flowmaster's web site, there are a variety of mufflers, including the Delta 40, Delta 50 and 80 series. Each one has different characteristics, including external and interior sound/tone.

I basically want a high performance muffler that is designed to OEM specifications, so that I can re-use the stock tailpipe and have it installed relatively easily. The last thing I want is to have a technician trying to do some mod job to make a universal or non OEM muffler fit my car. I am not crazy about custom jobs, especially exhaust systems. I can't stand seeing some of the drooping aftermarket tailpipes which you see on some 3rd gen Firebird/Camaros. In terms of "sound", I don't want the muffler to be really loud, especially on the interior. But I do want a noticeable improvement over the stock muffler. I like sound which is a little deeper and less hollow than the stock, and I am having a difficult time selecting the correct aftermarket muffler which conforms to OEM specs and also has these sound attributes.

With respect to the Borla muffler you referenced above, do they make one for the 94 Firebird V6, or are their mufflers universal fit? I notice that Flowmaster has a plethora of different models, and I am pretty sure that they make ones specifically for the Firebird/Camaro, but their web site sucks and their customer service was not very helpful when I called.

If anyone can anyone ou please guide me in the right direction with some specific information, I would really appreciate it. As long as I know a particular model will work nicely on my car, I will just go order it and take it to a shop to get it installed.

PS: By the way, I called GM to get a price on a muffler for a 94 Firebird V6. Get this - $327 (Canadian). For a muffler, holy crap, that is insane.

Reply to
Cylon

"Jack Conley" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Hey Jack, let me know where you are buying it from and the model/part number if possible. Did you hear this muffler on a V6 Firebird before? I have heard mixed reviews of Borla vs. Flowmaster, what is loud for one is quiet for another, etc. Is this particular muffler loud on the interior of the vehicle? Thanks.

Reply to
Cylon

If you've got a V6, then you have only one tail pipe, right? If that's the case, you can buy whatever you want as long as the diameter matches what you have now. If you're worried about the stock appearance then you'll need to get one that matches the length and where the exhaust tubes enter and exit the muffler. I have a 80 series crossflow muffler. 2.5" in and dual 2.5 out. This is designed particularly for the camaro and firebird but for those with dual exhaust after the muffler. I've heard that the crossflow mufflers sound drastically different than the straight throughs. I would imagine you could get a crossflow muffler and have two tailpipes bent.

Good luck,

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Cylon that site I give you is specially for F-bodies get the 2 1/2 inch not the 3in. . Borla gives you the best overall sound nice and smooth not raspy. It wont droop or sag its a direct replacement for your stock muffler.

Another good choice is to get a Ws6/SS take-off from slp its only $100 it will give you the muffler tailpipes and your choice of exhaust tips. I heard this is what everyone uses for the 3.4L.

Flowmaster is probaly to loud for your taste its more agressive and sounds awful after 3k RPM's trust me go with Borla you will not have any complaints.

Reply to
Frizzle

i haven't bought the borla muffler yet, but i found a transverse borla muffler with no tips on anything for $109 buy it now price. i have only heard the borla in person on an LT1 camaro but i've also heard a few clips of it on a v6... sounds awsome!!! at idle it has a rumble sound to it... it the upper rpms it doesn't rasp out or drone out, its about the closest sound to a v8 that i've ever heard on a v6. hope this helps.

jack

Reply to
Jack Conley

"Jack Conley" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Thats helpful, thanks for the info. Frizzle also recommended the same Borla muffler, so I am definitely looking at getting this one. Where are you buying yours from? Is it the place Frizzle provided a link to?

Cylon

FireBirdMan snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Frizzle) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3177.bay.webtv.net:

Hey Frizzle. Thanks for your input, and I am liking what I hear. Only thing is, the muffler presently on my 94 Firebird V6 has a single outlet/tailpipe on the driver side. The Borla Pro XS Transverse mufflers available for sale on the link you sent have DUAL outlets, not just one single outlet. Will this be a problem, or do they sell a muffler with a single outlet? If I buy a muffler which has DUAL outlets, I am worried that I might have a problem mounting the passenger side tailpipe in case my car does not have the necessary components or criteria on the underside. Do these Borla mufflers come with the tailpipes or do I have to buy a separate kit for that? Sorry for all the questions, but your help is very appreciated.

As far as the WS6/SS take-off, I couldn't find any such product on SLP's site unless I was looking in the wrong place. I did however find the following for sale on eBay... is this what you are referring to? ->>

This particular one has a 2.25" inlet. I have noclue if the pipe from my cat is a 2.5 or 2", so I don't know what wouldbe a better fit -- this take-off or the Borla Pro XS. I am leaningtoward the Borla as I like the desciption of how it sounds, but I alsolike this professionally welded stainless steel tailpipe on thistake-off too.

Reply to
Cylon

yeah that site is a good one. i'm thinking of buying from there. even though your exhaust only has a single outlet just like mine, just bring the transverse dual outlet muffler to any muffler shop and they can mount it and the dual outlet tips for you with no problem. i would guess about $60 for install and then the aditional cost of whatever the tips cost. not too sure on the price though... may be less may be more.

jack

Reply to
Jack Conley

"Jack Conley" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Where to get the dual outlet tailpipes, that is the question. Do they have to be custom made or is there someone selling these? Borla doesn't sell anything for it, I confirmed by calling them this morning. I also called a Speedy muffler to ask if they sell tailpipes, but I was informed they don't. Only tailpipes they sell are the ones which come as part of a package with their standard Walker muffler for Firebirds. Will we have to just use the tailpipe on our existing GM stock mufflers?

Reply to
Cylon

Any muffler shop should be able to bend you tailpipes. If they can't, I'd go somewhere else.

Reply to
Bruce Chang