Edelbrock intake vs stock Olds 403

Whats up again everyone I've got a question regarding intake manifolds.. I've got a '79 Trans Am with an Oldsmobile 403. It's got a few mods such as headers, cam and exhaust but its still sporting the
stock aluminum intake (at least i think it's stock the casting # is 22528212). I've heard the Performer manifolds don't offer much more power than the stock Olds. Anyone have experience using both?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I don't remember what manifold I replaced the stock one with anymore, but it was a huge improvement, as the stocker is about the worst thing ever. When you take the carb off, you'll see why.
It was either an Edelbrock or a Weiand. Even the idle improved. Oh, BTW, my stock intake was cast iron.
I had moderately ported heads, a mild Mondello cam, the new intake was put on before almost anything else was done to it, headers and small turbo mufflers. The stock qjet was worked on by a Olds carb expert, and only requires slight rejetting to be dead on.
And a distributor recurve will be needed to have it even run halfways decent when you do work on the heads.
I think (It's almost 20 years since I stupidly sold the car)when it's all done, the timing was 8 or 10 deg BTDC vs the stock 16 or 18, and the total timing was best at 36 degrees.
BDK
Thanks for the info.. after checking online Ive found out the intake on my engine was made for the '85-'90 olds 307. Anyone know anything about this manifold? I don't know why the previous owner of this TA would use this intake on such a worked engine. I wonder how much of a performance gain I'll see if I bolt on an Edelbrock or Weiand?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I might be wrong, but I think it's basically the same, but in alum instead of cast iron. If it is, a new manifold would be a great thing to do.
BDK
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

As I recall, all the 307's were dogs performance wise, I would guess that anything using the same intake would get significant performance increase. With the exhaust already modified to breath better you should be able to get some good performance increases with a new intake if you make the needed timing adjustments to take advantage of the increased airflow.
--
Cy Welch
89 Camaro RS 5.0 TBI

says...

One the manifold I used (a Weiand or Edelbrock, can't remember anymore), it was about one and a half inches higher, we got some off by machining down the carb mount pad, maybe a quarter or three-eighths of an inch, and by playing around with the hood, we got it to shut without looking totally ridiculous. I never got around to hacking some height off the air cleaner, like one I saw did. They cut it down an inch, and then brazed or welded the lip back on. Too much work. They used some oddball paper element for an old foreign car, it fit perfectly.
If I would have been smart and kept it, I was going to do it when I had the front quarters rehung, and the whole car painted.
BDK

you
There are companies out there now that make full aircleaner assemblies to lower the stock so that a higher intake such as a Performer RPM or Torker can be used.
OK, I have two questions on this topic; first, how do you "re curve" the distributor and second, "There are companies out there now that make full air cleaner assemblies to lower the stock so that a higher intake such as a Performer RPM or Torker can be used." Who are they and do they have a web address? Thanks,
-Dave

The company is called WFO Performance, website is http://www.transamcountry.com/sponsor_WFO.htm
Talk to Larry, everyone I know thats used the kits have been incredibly impressed, not real cheap but better than mounting your scoop to hood or butchering parts.
Bruce
snipped-for-privacy@premierbev.com says...

You change the springs and the weights inside. Contact Mondello and they can give you the info you need. If the distributor is an HEI, the weights are probably stuck and all rusted up from arcing through the rotor and then through the weights.
http://www.mondellotwister.com /
I have no idea who sells the air cleaner..
BDK
Thanks for the information.....
-Dave