Electric fan in 2nd gen?

Hey all,

I've been browsing through some of my catalogs of late and was curious if it was possible to change from the clutch fan on my 78 camaro to an electric one. I'm guessing its just remove from the clutch out, bolt on new electric fan at the shroud, and plum the wires to the battery and ignition switch. Is that about right? I hate, HATE working on the electric system, it always ends up being a royal bitch to me with some rats nest somewhere or a worn out wire hidden behind the dash or firewall. Also, will my little 60 amp alternator be able to handle the extra current draw? I wouldn't want to buy a $200 high amp alternator just to get a $80.00 fan to work right. Everything works fine when you turn it on all at once, but you can see the headlights dim and voltage drop like a rock if you run the power windows when I do this. I know my system is old and all, and it may just be high time for a new alternator anyway, but I don't want to have to through good money after bad. Additionally, my stock idle is a meager 500rpm, so I think I'd need an alternator that can put out good volts at low rpm. Or is there a smaller pulley I can use to get it to turn faster? Thanks in advance, I know some guru here has though of or done this before.

Brian

Reply to
Led Sleddin'

You are going to definately need atleast a 100 amp alternator to keep up with the electric fan. My dad's 78 T/A still dims down at idle with a 100AMP when the fans kick in.

Why do you need an electric fan? The only real reason would be in you are modifying and turning the car into an autoX or drag strip racer. If your clutch fan can't keep up then you have something wrong with your cooling system. It should run between 190-220 degrees at all times.

Also, your 500RPM idle seems low. It should be around 700RPM in drive or neutral for a manual tranny.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Yeah, that's where it is right now, but I was hoping for a few extra ponies for cheap by getting rid of that drag on the belts, or to at least get rid of the finger stealing demon I have up front right now. I was also hoping to get a little more cooling effeciency out of it as well.

500 is what the manual says, and that's what the smog shops always drop it too when I take it in to get tested. It's an auto transmission, btw. So iI was also thinking that my trans might be a bit happier if it was cooled down more often.

Brian

Reply to
Led Sleddin'

A clutch fan uses 5 HP. An electric fan will probably use around 1-2HP to run so at best you are looking at a 4HP difference. In other words, you wouldn't notice a difference!

If you're worried about the trans install an auxilary trans cooling in front of the radiator. You can pick one up at any auto parts store for $30.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

I happen to be a guru who has installed quite a few electric fans in place of clutch fans.

The pros are: Better fuel economy, better power, less under-hood noise when fan is off. Also, it's a good idea to put a temperature activated switch on the fan so it doesn't run all the time. You will find the fan is off almost all the time.

The cons are: The electric fan actually won't cool as good as the clutch fan when climbing a hill on a hot day or pulling a load. The fan costs 80 bucks. They do pull a lot of current when they are on. I never had to replace an alternator though. Best of luck to you,

Reply to
The Man of Steel

The Man of Steel Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

If the OP did this upgrade, and the battery dies a lot, or the alt. croaks, he can always put in a higher rated alternator in it...

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck