Electrical problem w/2000 Firebird!!!

Please help! I bought my car with 3,000 miles and it has always had some kind of electrical problem. First, the center consol lights wouldn't work (Where the automatic gear lights are supposed to be displayed) Now, my fog lights wont work--even though every bulb on the damn car has been replaced at the same time. My singal lights no longer blink (which causes my car to not pass inpsection) too. Is anyone else having the same problem? Is there anything I can check before spending $60 an hour for someone to run a diagnostics test on it?

Also, my drivers side headlight is making a horrible sound when I turn off my lights and they flip down. I can only assume this is the motor going out. Am I right? Obviously, I don't know much about the mechanics behind my car but I have kept it in great shape. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Reply to
Jen

Please help! I bought my car with 3,000 miles and it has always had some kind of electrical problem. First, the center consol lights wouldn't work (Where the automatic gear lights are supposed to be displayed) Now, my fog lights wont work--even though every bulb on the damn car has been replaced at the same time. My signal lights no longer blink (which causes my car to not pass inspection) too. Is anyone else having the same problem? Is there anything I can check before spending $60 an hour for someone to run a diagnostics test on it?

Also, my drivers side headlight is making a horrible sound when I turn off my lights and they flip down. I can only assume this is the motor going out. Am I right? Obviously, I don't know much about the mechanics behind my car but I have kept it in great shape. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Reply to
Jen

Dumb question on the turn signals, but are you sure the bulbs are correct? Not sure about the newer cars, but on older cars, if the load isn't correct, the blinker unit will not work properly (flash faster, slower or not at all).

Also, have you checked the fuses for the fogs and console lights (you didn't mention this)? Matter of fact, check them for the turn signals too. If any are blown and blow again shortly after replacement, time to look for a short.

Does it make a sound like its still spinning? The bushings or gear inside may be shot. Crack open the gear housing and take a look. Couldn't hurt as long as you take it apart carefully.

Reply to
Anthony T.

The main problem with the popup headlight motors is the plastic gear that gm used. They usually start making a grinding noise right before they wear out. You can find metal replacement gears on ebay. It is a pita to swap them, but you wont have to worry about them failing again.

Reply to
Bigfishz28

I agree, the first thing to check is all the ground connections.

Gary

Reply to
Gary - KQ6RT

The headlight is the gear in the motor, you do not have to replace the whole motor just the gear. i understand you can find it on ebay. i found one on line by a guy making them for corvettes' (same motor) same gear. Not too bad in price.

My FB had a lot of electrical issues at first. IT turned out to be my alternator but it did not test bad when Kragen ran it. So then we took it and had it tested IN the car and it showed it was not working.

My electrical engineer ex told me that there are a lot of different diodes and when they start to malfunction little things show first. what my key was the speedometer needle was bouncing in time with the turn signal. (this was after it left me stuck in the rain twice) and he said that is a specific diode in the alternator.

But try finding the ground. This is very common with FB's. Does it have an aftermarket stereo or audio system? often that is a problem for these cars as well. if you need anything else, let me know. I have the GM repair manuals for the car.

Smiles, CJ

Jen wrote:

Reply to
yocj