engine stalls while coming to a stop or going from a stop (auto-transmision)

hi, i have 89 firebird and it has 155,000 miles on it. it is 305 5.0 L V8 with automatic transmission(everything is stock). lately i am having this problem. this started when i went up a ramp at an airport terminal (it was pretty steep) as soon as i came to a stop the engine started to stall and then stopped. but it did come back on when i turned the ignition, the problem continues when i come to a halt at a light or start from a light, it begins to feel llike it is about to stall when moving between the 2nd and the 3rd gear both when coming to a stop or while accelerating from standstill. i have no problems once it comes on 4 th gear. it goes 2000 rpm at 75-80mph

when i put it in park it would rev pretty high around 1700 rpm where as my engine used to idle between 1000 and 500 before this..

this problem persisted for 2 days then again it went back to normal (smooth shift like u would not even feel the shift ). then again after a few week i again went to the same terminal to pick my friend up as i soon as i went up the ramp to the top, it started to stall again while i came to a stop. it continued to do the same for 2 days and agian back to normal .

what could be the problem is my transmission going dead.? also what it would cost to change to manual transemission.?

Reply to
sunny

i don't know if this will help, but i had 89 grand am that run great on the highway and when u came to a stop it would die. it sounds very simular to your problem. it turned out to be a transmition anti lock sensor, located on linkage side of your tranny it's a small elec part w/ 2 wires about

60.00 it can be checked by unplugging it and take it for a ride if there's no change , it isn't working
Reply to
shadow18

This happened to my '86 TA at 158,000 Miles. Problem turned out to be a bad Throttle position sensor only around 50 bucks or so when I replaced it. The only thing though. It started out intermitenly the became worste as I put it off. to the point where the car would only go 23mph one night the whole way home. Only one thing though you didnt mention if you service engine light comes on. Oh and one more thing if you have a bad "TPS" you probably have a bad o2 sensor too... TOM

1986 WS6 Trans Am
Reply to
Tom

Transmission anti-lock sensor? Can you explain what this is supposed to do normally?

Reply to
SgtSilicon

i dont have any problems bacos right now it runs pretty smoothly the gear changes are also smooth , though sometimes when i put it in park it revs pretty high that is around 1500rpm this happened one or two time since taht incident. then the rest of the time it revs around 700 rpm when in park. yeah my engine light is on since the day iremoved my oxygen sensor to put on a kit that i bought online (which is suppose to fool the computer to tell the that the air is cold) but that was last year. it was running fine since then ,

also a few m> This happened to my '86 TA at 158,000 Miles. Problem turned out to be a bad

Reply to
sunny

He has to mean TC lockup switch...

Thats almost what the OPs problem sounds like.

Reply to
aka-SBM

The last thing you want to do is disable closed loop mode. If the engine is fooled into thinking its always cold it will run rich, and runs on presets instead of actually adjusting for best performance and efficiency. Basically open loop (what it runs in cold) is bad, and closed loop is good. You want the computer watching the fuel mixture via the oxygen sensor so that you get the right mixture level. Also, the timing curve is different in that situation.

Reply to
Cy Welch

Reply to
sunny

I don't think it's fuel injectors. Just a thought, I would check the MAP sensor as it monitors intake manifold pressure changes from load, speed and altitude. The ECM then uses that to control fuel delivery and timing.

-Camaro Cowboy

CLICK HERE

I agree. I had two fuel injectors go at once. It was only when trying to accelerate, and the car would just die, maybe run again shortly to die finally. It did not "threaten" to stall as in shuddering and shaking.

Hopefully that's enough to help him eliminate the possibility of the fuel injectors.

They can also be tested (although passing doesn't mean they're in perfect working order) by testing the resistance. IIRC 16 Ohms is ideal, anything way off may indicate failure.

The OP didn't state if it was TPI or TBI, but there's a load balance test that can be performed on TPI. Again however if its not dying "peacefully" as I called it at the time, I'd look somewhere else.

Reply to
Anthony T.

hi the stalling problem as gone automatically, i dont know why?

right now the car runs smooth with just > CLICK HERE wrote:

Reply to
sunny