Engine Washing: Any Suggestions??

Hi to everyone,
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is safe to clean up the engine in my 1996 V6 using a pressure washer to get rid of accumalated gunk in hard
to reach places? Is there some precaution that needs to be taken before doing it this way? Or is there a better way to cleant it? I don not want an engine that will look nice but not work due to being washed.
Thank you for any contribution. Winston
Winston wrote:

Definitely not a good idea.

Newer engines are pretty water tight, if you are going to clean it i recomend some good degreaser and perhaps cover the coil packs with a plastic bag of some kind (where the plug wires go into the little black boxes, should be 3 of them) not where they go into the engine and you should be just fine, try to stay away from spraying directly onto any wiring harnesses and other such electrical areas. A clean engine is a good running engine as far as im concerned. I did the same thing to my 98 3.8 litre monte carlo with no problems at all. Good luck and be careful. Brett B.

my now ex-used to put oven cleaner on the spots that were really gunky and rinse off - got off a lot of the gunk but did not use a pressure washer just a regular hose with a small nozzle.
good luck!
I've used oven cleaner before. Usually on parts that have been removed from the car. It tends to take the paint off too. If you decide to try it make sure you don't spray any on alluminum parts or electrical connectors. Also, make sure you wash off all the residue with soap and water afterwords.
Gary