Exhaust header problem 67' Chevelle

Hopefully there are some readers over here that can help me. I've posted this several times in the Chevelle group and got no response at all. I have right now FlowTech 11100FLTs, the right side is a perfect
fit. The right side is a no/go.
Trying to install headers on a 67 Malibu L79(327) TH400, PS, PB. Two different brands I've tried both have severe interference with the runner for cylinder 5 hitting the steering shaft. The headers which were on this car when I bought it had the same problem but the previous installer had taken the caveman approach and beat it to fit. Not the method I want to use. Part number research shows MOST chevelle and Camaro SB applications use the same parts, so a mixup would not happen from that. Same with motor mounts(I wonder if the motor is positioned correctly). Anyone got any ideas here??? I measured the engine placement and it is dead center in the engine compartment(fender to fender).
Anyone else run into this problem?....or better yet...solved it?
Phantom wrote:

    My first suggestion is to get a factory service manuial for you Chevelle. This will tell you if the mounts are in the right holes. Then my second suggestion is to use poly mounts.
    Headers are not 100% fit with every vehical. Alot of manufactors will recommend "dimpling" a tube for clearance issues. I beleave it is better to cut the offending tube and modify it as needed (long or shorter) then weld it back in place.
Charles
Thanks Charles, I have all the manuals including Fisher body, Motor is dead center and mounts were replaced with Moogs back in 93' when I rebuild the motor. So the problem was here with two sets of mounts. The only variable, is the block is a 65' Vette L79 327 so it has Hump heads. But all the header application part numbers I check seem to show this is not a problem. Waiting on a response from support at Flowmaster. I've already installed the right side so I'll cut/weld the left if they don't have a good answer for me.
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 07:48:17 GMT, Charles Bendig