Exhaust header problem 67' Chevelle

Hopefully there are some readers over here that can help me. I've posted this several times in the Chevelle group and got no response at all. I have right now FlowTech 11100FLTs, the right side is a perfect fit. The right side is a no/go.

Trying to install headers on a 67 Malibu L79(327) TH400, PS, PB. Two different brands I've tried both have severe interference with the runner for cylinder 5 hitting the steering shaft. The headers which were on this car when I bought it had the same problem but the previous installer had taken the caveman approach and beat it to fit. Not the method I want to use. Part number research shows MOST chevelle and Camaro SB applications use the same parts, so a mixup would not happen from that. Same with motor mounts(I wonder if the motor is positioned correctly). Anyone got any ideas here??? I measured the engine placement and it is dead center in the engine compartment(fender to fender).

Anyone else run into this problem?....or better yet...solved it?

Reply to
Phantom

My first suggestion is to get a factory service manuial for you Chevelle. This will tell you if the mounts are in the right holes. Then my second suggestion is to use poly mounts.

Headers are not 100% fit with every vehical. Alot of manufactors will recommend "dimpling" a tube for clearance issues. I beleave it is better to cut the offending tube and modify it as needed (long or shorter) then weld it back in place.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Reply to