feeling out the market on a '67 Camaro

Hey,

First of all, to all the long time members and posters here, thanks for all the help you guys gave me along the way when I was rebuilding this car. I always got good info here. I'm hoping I can get just a little bit more

I plan on selling my 1967 RS/SS 350, 4p car. Built in Los Angeles January '67. Disc brakes, 4 speed, 12 bolt posi (3.31:1)

Doesn't have the original motor or trans, or the 4 piston calipers (it has '69 single puck calipers). But still has 12 bolt rear end with radius rod and most of the original interior.

Car is completely restored mechanically, I mean everything. Motor is a GW

350 with Edelbrock heads, Comp XE283, Perf RPM intake, MSD, etc etc. (20 k mostly easy miles).

Trans is Th2004R built by Bowtie Overdrives, level three with 2400 stall and lockup.

Car runs and drives like new.

But it needs paint, a grille, and a new patch panel on the right rear quarter. And it has alittle rust (not visible) around the back glass. It does leak a little through there into the trunk if its left outside in the rain. Floors, trunk, and subframes are solid and no rust there. I've got $10k in parts in it.

This car has been in my possession since '86. I bought it in San Diego, moved to Louisiana in '87 and its been here ever since. It's been garaged exclusively since '90. Most of the restoration work was completed between '99 and '03.

Best 1/4 time with 3.31 rear end was 13.42@103.7 . Not too bad. And its very civilized in terms of its driveability and also reliable and gets decent fuel economy with the OD (probably irrelevant) -- ~17 mpg on average if driven with a light foot.

I mainly measure fuel consumption in this car in smiles-per-gallon, but I digress.

I've shown the car to three potential buyers here locally. Problem is that none of them could differentiate between a 6 cyl sport coupe and my car. One guy had the balls to tell me that because his '67 SS that he bought new didn't have RS equipment that my car was some kind of fake! "They didn't make the taillights like that back in '67 (rs config). Believe me son, I know what I'm talking about". Uhh huh.

He didn't know anything about trim tags either so that pretty much classified that guy in my mind.

Thanks for any and all input.

Roy

Reply to
Roy Shroyer

Roy, I'm certainly no appraisal expert, but I've owned several first gen Camaros over the years, and I watch prices closely. In my opinion, if you have verification that this is an original RS/SS Camaro, with a completely rebuilt drivetrain, in my opinion it is worth 15-20K, maybe a little more or less as it sits. Adding a new paint job would make put it in the 25K range. Have a look at Ebay, prices of real RS/SS Camaros are rising quickly, IF you can find one with real documentation. Too bad you can't keep the car! I have lots of reasons to sell my '68, but I've been resisting, I've regretted selling every muscle car I've sold!

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Roy:

Here is my advice. You have a desirible car, with reasonible mods, which sound to be done properly. Yet it's not a "perfect" or 100% compleate car (still needs body repairs).

People who don't know what they are looking at will drive you insane. Yet to a guy or gal looking for a good driver to put some work in to, it sounds like the perfect 67. Especially at 17 MPG cruising. With 92 to 94 Octane being 2.40 to 2.85 per gallion here in Ohio.

To reach the market of people you want, who will buy the car knowing what they are gettting, list it on Ebay. You will still get annoying questions from idiots & know-it-nothings, yet a lot of car people buy thru Ebay. I sold my last 12 bolt rear end for 68 to 72 Chevelle (A-bodys) with a 3.31 on their for $750. Probably got $250 more then I would have locally, and it sold in the first listing. I have had customers drive from all over America to Dayton (my shop is in medway) Ohio to pick up large items they have bought. As far south as Texas, as far east as Vermont, as far west as Minnapolius. When you get people who will travel that far to get items, it seperates out the less then serious buyers.

Reguardless of what some regulars think, If you do list it on Ebay, post a link here. As a contributor of the group, some of us will want to see how the auction goes. Who knows could even be bought by someone from here.

Charles BTW: I would set the reserve at $10,000 for the first auction.

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Good idea there, tell the guy to piss all over the Ebay TOS. That auction won't last long.

Reply to
FBR

Terry and Charles,

Thanks for the replies. You guys are really encouraging me. I appreciate it.

I probably will go the ebay route unless I get a decent offer before the end of next month.

I would be happy if I could get back what I've got in it. Not counting labor of course. I think the car has paid for itself in terms of the enjoyment I've gotten out of it and the friends I;ve made as a result of owning it.

Again, thanks.

Roy

Reply to
Roy Shroyer

Yes putting it on Ebay might get you the highest price. I'd set the reserve at 15K though ;-) I might be interesting in purchasing the car, I'm thinking about selling my '68 because the restoration is just about complete, and I'm looking for another first gen camaro to tinker with. Do you have any pics of your car?

Thanks Terry snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Remove the NOSPAM, of course

Reply to
Terry

Terry:

Sometimes I regrette junking my 72 Chevelle, and having to let go of 35 cars I had stored (some were project cars, no place to put them when the salvage yard closed). Yet sometimes you just need to part company with a car and move on to another project.

Like Now, Im considering letting go of my 85 T/A, and finding a first or second gen project. Maybe a Nova or Chevelle. Plus im going to start gathering parts to build a SBC powered S-10 Typhone clone(406 SBC with one turbo per cylinder bank, so 2 turbos). Well minus ground effects, badges, and painted a bit on the wild side.

Charles With AWD if you manage to light the tires, think the transfercase will explode? :)

Reply to
Charles Bendig