Firebird - To Return?

Been a long time Firebird TransAm person (Trans Am back to 1978 and Firebird back to 1975 when the hot girl in highschool drove a black

1968 convertable 400). It was a said day in the house hold when GM walked away from the Firebird in 2002.

Well, here is news for those who still drive (Trans Am # 4 is a 1995,

6-speed red with 104K miles) and dream of owning a NEW one.

At the 2008 Harrisburg PA Auto Show (January 2008), a Pontiac represenative told me there maybe some information coming in November

2008.

Now, just to be clear here. All that was said was "some information is coming in November."

She went on to say lots of people stopped by during the show to ask about the Firebird. Seeing how the show circuit Camaro was on the other side of the Farmshow expo hall under guard (yes the local Men in Blue were there to see to it no one got "too close" to the Camaro.) Lots of folks like me where stopping to comment where is the Firebird.

I can say this is positive news. Have given up on going to this show for a few years (whats the point if there is no F-body there.) But, started going with daughter took a liking to the Soltice. So what does the Pontiac man do at an auto show when a factory rep is there? why talk shop!

That being said, in 2005, 2006 and 2007 the response was "buyers don't want to live in the past, Firebird is a dead name. Have you seen the new G5? (yes, thank you remember when it called a 6000 and the limited edition was called something like the G000LE. Or was the that the 1000?)

Anyway. For someone who has always driven a hand-me-down Trans Am (OK, years were 1975, 1978, 1979 and 1995) and dreamed of a new one "built my way" for 30 years, this is a good think. Maybe finally after house and kids are paid for, there will be a "new kind of wow" at the local Pontiac dealer with my name on it.

OK, enough, what have folks in other parts of the country heard?

Reply to
brxsep

I've seen some wishful thinking:

?t=84132 All in all, I would rather have a Challenger than the Camaro or a possible T/A.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

I've heard nothing about the Firebird, but if it comes back you can be sure GM will load it full of "standard" features that you don't want and it will cost way more than the Mustang. I'm not a fan of the Mustang, but Ford must be doing something right.

I wish you could order a "Plain Jane" from any of the companies. Why does it have to be "adding the V8 requires the addition of a 10 speaker

10,000 watt stereo and a leather wrapped drink holder"

Jay S

Reply to
Jay S

I'd second that. After all, the sales popularity of the 'sleepers' of the 60's and 70's should once again lure the love-to-haves into will-buy's. s

Reply to
sdlomi2