Fixing a head gasket

My headgasket busted on a 94 Firebird with almost 200,000 miles. I've been told between 1,200-1,600 to fix it, but I'd be better off getting a rebuilt engine for about $3,000.
I'm curious. If I choose to fix it for the $1,200-$1,600 rate, what percentage of the cost do you believe would be parts vs. labor? It sounded like a very labor intensive task.
An engine gasket set for my 89 305 cost me $90.
The labor...... Takes me about 4 hours to tear it down to the heads and clean it up. Putting everything back would take me about 6 to 8 hours. It's not difficult, just time consuming.
-Bruce

Around $100 for parts sounds about right. The thing to remember is that on a '94 about 1/3 of the engine is behind the windshield. This makes removing the heads and intake very much a pain in the a**. you'll be working blind on the back 1/3 of the engine. Still, it wouldn't hurt to shop around for a better price. I was quoted $800 labor for a valve job on my '96 Z28. Not including the actual head work. This is actually the same task you are looking at. - Gary