FS: 1985 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am (Ottawa, Ont)

Page 1 of 2
1985 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. 148,200 km
V8, 5-Speed, Performance Suspension, T-Roof, Repainted w/Decals, Alloy Wheels, Fogs, Spoiler, Power Windows/Locks, Aftermarket Stereo&Speakers, Tilt
Wheel, Bra, Summer Car, E-test & Safety.
Pic (taken this year):
http://www.magma.ca/~warringt/ta.jpg
Asking $4900. Phone: (613) 820-2475 (Ask for Bob) Email: snipped-for-privacy@magma.ca Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Wheels,
Why is it that everyone assumes that everyone else KNOWS what country's currency is being talked about? Are you talking Canadian dollars or USA dollars? That would sure help in your quest to sell the car, don't ya think?
--
Mr. Floppy

Well since the header reads Ottawa, Ontario, this would lead me to believe CDN dollars

No, it wasn't stated, so you cannot draw this conclusion. That's the point. This message doesn't only reach people in Canada. It reaches worldwide to whomever subscribes to this newsgroup with their news reader. Stating the currency that is wanted would allow people to figure out how many rubles, yen, dollars, pounds, etc., they need to buy his car.
-- Mr. Floppy

Alloy
Tilt
country's
USA
believe
point.
The point I was making is that in his Message Title ""1985 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am (Ottawa, Ont)"" it says Ottawa Ontario so I would believe that a person in Canada is selling this item in the currency of his country unless otherwise stated, regardless of who subscribes to this group. I also wasn t saying that everyone would come to this conclusion.. only that it would be logical to myself to infer that.

ya
the
rubles,
Firebird
unless
So the only logical conclusion in your mind is the only "correct" one as far as you're concerned. Hmm, and you don't even have all the facts. It is not wise to make an assumption such as you have. If you were to pursue this vehicle for purchase, I would be willing to wager that you would be asking the very question that I asked about what country's currency is stated. Tell me I am wrong.
--
Mr. Floppy

or
don't
worldwide
wasn
be
far
not
OK .. Mr Floppy , you are wrong. I wouldnt need to ask what currency since I live in Canada and know that Ottawa is in Canada.. Just like if I were purchasing something from Charles , Big or others that live in the states, I would assume their choice of currency would be from where they live. As for not having all the facts, what other facts are there? The person lives in Canada and unless he is selling on Ebay, I would find it hard to believe he would sell in another currency other than that of his own country and if he was, most likely would indicate it as such.

the
Stating
that
would
asking
I'm sorry you live in Canada. Really, it's OK, you don't have to be ashamed.
--
[...]

In the subject it says "Ottawa,Ont" in perentises. Which I would take as a hint to where the car is, and whatkind if currancy was being asked for it. Charles

ya
the
rubles,
for
Thank you Charles , exactly my point

the
rubles,
for
Chuck, thanks for poorly attempting to re-state what was already said. It is still an assumption. By the way the words you were attempting to use are "parenthesis" and "currency". Stay away from the big words and you will be OK.
--
Mr. Floppy

are
be
I feel the need to ask a question... What currency would you assume it was in, with the info given, if you had to take a wild shot in the dark?
It has a "$" sign which rules out pounds, yen, etc... If it were in NY it would be safe to assume it was US currency, would it not?
This argument is rather silly but I am genuinely interested in where you're coming from on this.

It
That depends entirely on the intended audience. The assumption that it was only meant for Canadian readers is what I am laughing at here. If someone posts to a Usenet newsgroup it is a world wide posting. It isn't just for the country it is posted from. 3 little letters in the posting would have eliminated all doubt. USA or CDN.

Again, not necessarily. If you have a world wide audience, then you need to state USA dollars. How many times have you seen it explicitly stated USA DOLLARS? I see it all the time. Why is that?

you're
The argument I am making is that people assume things far too often in life and make mistakes by assuming.
--
Mr. Floppy

use
will
was
was
it
life
The only assumption being made is you saying it was intended only for a Cdn audience.. everyone else read that he was from Ottawa and could see that it would be in Cdn funds Otherwise it would have said different.
As for your statement, yep I do agree people jump to conclusions far too quickly, just dont think that was the case here from the facts in evidence.

Cdn
it
I made no such statement. In fact, I said the exact opposite. I said it was posted to a world-wide audience. You're still assuming that it is CDN funds. Do you have a magical divining rod that tells you what text infers? I will ask the same question I did of SBlackfoot. Why do people who post ads from the USA state USA funds? So there is no question as to what funds are accepted. This guy left it open by stating dollars. I do business with people in Canada all the time. Do you think they leave it open to my interpretation for what country's currency is accepted? No. I would be happy to pay $50 Canadian for something rather than paying $50 US for it.

evidence.
Facts? Just because he is from Ottowa does not guarantee that he asked for Canadian dollars. The only way to settle this absolutely and permanently is to ask him. I am not interested in the vehicle, so I won't be contacting him.
--
Mr. Floppy

infers?
funds
with
for
is
Magical rod? Nope just common sense.
And if you arent interested, then why bother jumping into this to start off with. Just like so many Usenet cops, you feel a need to stick your nose in where its not needed nor warranted. Exactly why Usenet is so cluttered with garbage, this time I just decided to add my garbage for a change. End of my posts in this , enjoy the day

that
it
CDN
post
it.
too
permanently
contacting
And common sense says to make WAG assumptions? LOL!

off
with
my
Well, well, well. Look at you. You're certainly the pot calling the kettle black, aren't you. I asked one simple question of the person who posted the advertisement for sale. Who blew it all out of proportion then later comes back calling ME the Usenet cop? You did. LOL!! How does asking what country's currency the guy is asking for make me a Usenet cop? ROFL! I guess the fact that you said "I just decided to add my garbage for a change" excuses you from acting like a dumbass, right? Let's see if you're really done or if you're just a liar like the rest of the people who say they are.
--
Mr. Floppy

funds
with
Actually I see postings on US-based messageboards all the time where people do not necessarily state US funds, although it is assumed and isn't questioned. Likewise of Canadian-based message boards. Now, a newsgroup isn't necessarily based upon a single country but I for one (and others it seems) do believe that a specification of location is a decent indication of funds. Common sense does seem to apply in this case. Besides, considering the amount of the currency in question does again point to Canadian funds or one stupidly overpriced car.
That said, I'd find it hilarious if the vehicle in question was in fact in US funds. ;o)

for
is
A guarantee, no. A logical and safe assumption, definitely. Think about it. You're interested in the vehicle and travel to Ottawa in order to purchase. Would it be logical for the seller to expect anything other than Canadian funds? Likewaise however, I have no interest in the vehicle so I have no intentions of contacting the seller either. I really doubt that would solve anything anyway, since the debate would likely continue.
OT: Since when is a Tiburon a sports car? I'm sick of that brunette in the commercial saying that it's better than other sportscars...

it.
purchase.
solve
The whole point I was making was about assumptions. People assume things far too often. Then when they run on an assumption and what they thought to be the truth turns out to be the opposite, they have nobody else to blame but themself. It is best to have all the information you possibly can before going off half cocked. Wouldn't you agree?

Tiburon? Isn't that a POS Hyundai? Nothing Hyundai makes could ever be considered a sports car. Ever. Even if they say so.
--
Mr. Floppy