Fuel Line sizes.

Hi guys n Gals. Just a quick question regarding fuel line sizes. Ive noticed on my 83 Trans-am that the main metal fuel lines are looking a bit rusty. What size tube is it.? It look much more beefy than the normal break fuel line you get here in the UK. I was just going to replace the lot with new lines but not sure what thinkness and width the lines should be, and if i was to slap on the UK standard no double there may not be enough fuel delivered to the engine, and would cause problems in running the car.

Also were in the uk can you get replacement hoses and rubber air line.? Halfords doesnt sell lines long enough to be of any use to anyone. Idealy id like to replace EVERY hose and line, to make it all like new. Im trying to keep the engine bay as original as possible. Im not after any of these fancey coloured tubes, and speed Freek addons.!!

Regards WombatPPC.

Reply to
WombatPPC-NEWS

Yes it would.

Try a motor factors / paint / repair shop, They will sell rubber hoses on a reel and rolls of CuNiFer tubing needed for brakes & fuel lines. I'm not sure OTTOMH what size yhe fuel line is but they will have them I 'Think'

3/8ths for brakes and 5/8 for fuel would do, but it is 7.30 and i've not checked sizes :->

HTH

Reply to
Terminal Crazy

Sorry thats over half inch for the fuel isn't it. I think i mean 16ths and not 8ths.... howverer i still havn't checked .

Reply to
Terminal Crazy

You need a speed shop or a factory type place to buy your needed repair material. Moroso makes a fine aluminum replacement fuel line in rolls of 25' (foot American) or approximately 8 meters long.

It's much harder to give advice to someone who lives on the other side of the big pond from me as you don't have quite the same aftermarket support as I have over here. You can try places like Year One, Classic Industries, or you can check out the forums on camaroz28.com which I have always read and found invaluable.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

steel tube is as follows brake lines

3/16 or 1/4 fuel 5/16 or 3/8 for feed and return 1/4 or 5/16 for vent
Reply to
joe

Thanks guys.

Ill keep a note of that lot and see if i come across some on my travels now. They defenetly will get done before i put this baby back in for the M.O.T. The car hasnt been on the road for many many years now. Its new to me but ive done much more work on it than most of it previouse owners. Ill probably go for the larger of those choices. Im not a feet and inches guy. Not that Old :-) More a cm and mm guy. Still thanks for your info dudes.

Ow I got myself that new cap and rotor but by the time it had arrived id fixed the old cap. The carbon button had worn down so i made a new one. first attempt failed as the carbon wasnt strong enough.

2nd attempt worked perfectly. I used a ferrite rod insted. the kind you find in old radio arials. bloody hard stuff to work down to size i can tell ya. realy tuff stuff. The car worked ok after that, but I noticed that the preheater valve on the exhast was stuck shut to. But only when i was looking at the starter motor that i busted !! You see i got it running, then thought id drive it down the drive and give it a good old clean and wash. Ya that worked fine till i got to starting it up to put it back to bed. Only to find that id ran out of fuel !! So I got more fuel and then ended up busting a tooth on the flipin Bendix on the starter cranking it over.!! So again for the second time round I had to use the manual winch and pully system ive riged up to get it up the drive and back into the garrage.

Lets hope thats and end to my troubles when the new bendix arrives. !!

Regards WombatPPC.

Reply to
WombatPPC-NEWS