Gassy smell or fumes coming from outside of vehicle

I recently purchased a 1994 Firebird. I was driving last night and I opened the window a bit, and there was a noticable smell of gas. When I closed the
window I could not smell it. I later parked the vehicle and noticed there was a general smell of gas around the exterior. I started to clean something near the rear driver side wheel, and there was a more intensified smell which seemed to be coming from the rear area.
Any one have any ideas what this might be? I topped up with fuel earlier that evening as well.
Sid
May be the fuel vapor reclaiming filter. But, check the fuel lines, fuel rail, and injector inputs. You don't won't to make a bon fire of your bird.
-- 98 Camaro

opened
the
intensified
My '94 Firebird has the same problem, whether the tank is freshly filled or not. Everything on the car is dry and seems normal, but when I open the window on the highway I can still smell the gas. I don't know what the problem is.
Superman

opened
the
intensified
We had a RX-7 with this problem... it turned out to be a crack in the fuel line.

opened
the
intensified
Thanks to everyone who responded.
I took the car in this weekend for an oil/filter change. I got them to check for any leaks or cracks in the exhaust, fuel lines and gas tank, but they could not find anything abnormal. I ended up getting a 4 stage fuel system service for cleaning and conditioning injectors, with throttle body cleaning as well. The smell seems to be much less noticeable now, and actually I didn't smell it after I parked the car either.
A friend of mine who is a mechanic for GM also told me that it could simply be old gas sitting in the tank for a while (I just bought the car, so I don't know how long the thing was sitting in the dealer's garage). He recommended I take it on the highway and drive it hard for 30 minutes to clear out the older gas.

Could also be the fuel reclaiming system canister. Your friend should have stated right away. Also, do you have a 3rd gen? The filler neck has a somewhat common flaw of breaking at the tank and leaking. A GM tech should know that as well. 2 cents.
-- 98 Camaro

fuel
Thanks very much for your input. If this problem continues, I will take the car in for service and I will ask them to check exactly what you mentioned.

have
should
I missed the first part of the original post..
But..some ideas..
Recall on the fuel tank. Bad welds on the filler necks.
Overfilling with fuel and the purge tank is filling with a bit of fuel, you will smell it for sure then.