GM admits failure on 2000 Camaro Catalytic Converter

Ok, I know I have seen this posted before with people having problems with the Catalytic Converter on 2000 Camaros - aka (P0420 Catalyst Efficiency below Threshold Bank x). Today I got a notice from GM admitting the problem. It is not a recall but a bulletin (bulletin 05513) that states they are extending coverage on it to 10 years or 120,000 for a replacement if needed at no charge. It is not a recall but if the condition occurs take it in.

They also says that a reimbursement is available if you have paid for repairs for this condition.

In comes my delima. Back in the summer I had this very code (P0420), thinking it was too early for the cat at 16,000 miles and too expensive, I had the O2 replaced at a local shop. Well, that didnt do it. Light came right back on. I took it to the dealer for the cat and it was covered under federal emissions for 10 years and no charge to replace cat. Problem solved for now - although wasted my own money on the O2 sensor.

Now I get this letter - and wait a minute. Shouldn't they owe me for the O2 replacement? The only reason I did it because I didnt think it was the cat and it was much cheaper, O2 go before cats in most cases. Now 6 months later they (GM) tell me they know there is problems with both the left and right cats. I am thinking since it was a new O2 sensor when the dealer put the cat on, they left my NEW O2 sensor on when they would of put a new one.

I want to file the reimbursement form for the O2 sensor ... I think I deserve it, but they may blow me off because it is not the cat itself !?

Any thoughts?! Anyone else fighting this ?

TIA

Reply to
buzzsaw

Let me see if I understand this, You had the wrong part replaced, and now you want GM to pay for it? Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I think that you're grasping for the golden ring here. You admit that you replaced a part that isn't covered by the code and you want the manufacturer to pay for it? Priceless.

The next time I go into a restaurant and eat half a rack of ribs, you think that I can get them to bring me a steak because that's what I really wanted in the first place? Come on now, why should anyone pay for a replacement part that wasn't part of what the trouble code was in the first place. I can see it if a dealership did the work but not the owner of the car.

I can see it in the court room now...

Mister SOandSO,you purposely replaced the o2 sensor when the trouble code specifically stated that the catalytic converter had problems?

Yes.

And the reason you did this was?

... It was cheaper to replace?

Ah, I see now. You replace the o2 sensor because it was cheaper than replacing the catalytic converter... Does that make sense Mr. SOandSO? Stop wasting time trying to get other people to pay for your mistakes.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 21:42:46 -0500, "buzzsaw" puked:

Do you have a link to this issue with GM and the cat? My 2K recently threw a code regarding it, and a mechanic friend said that he would let it slide, that it really wasn't a big issue, but the cat was pretty expensive.

Free is cheap enough for me, and I don't really consider a dash light a small issue, even if it is sporadic...

lab~rat >:-)

I went through the same experience about a year ago on my 2000 Firehawk. The shop I took it to stated they doubted it was the catalytic converter, so they replaced the O2 sensor. The warning came back, and I had to get new catalytic converters.

Thus, I paid out of my own pocket for O2 sensors AND the catalytic converter.

I think we are both SOL. You have a link for the notice?

Reply to
Joe Granto

Got my notice today, 12-8-06. I have not had any problems with my cats. I run 93 octane ONLY. I have 35000 miles with the Hypertech PPM with 160* thermostat and I drive it hard whenever I get it out. I knew the cats already had an "extended" warranty being an "emission" realted component. The only problem so far has been a cracked eye level/third brake light in the spoiler and the junk goodyear eagle tires. Mine is an SS with a M6. Good Luck getting any $ from GM.

Reply to
jbrainey

GM will most likely reimburse you for the converters:

1.You have a copy of the invoice. 2.Get a statement from the shop that they were defective, and replaced, not just removed. Charles
Reply to
Charles Bendig

You should have just got the old hacksaw out and replaced it with a "test pipe". You can still pass most emissions tests without a cat in most states.

Reply to
mike_z

Try that in Pa!

The inspector gets a fine and jail time for not checking on the visual inspection properly.

Another prison rape for the bad guys.

RK

Reply to
Refinish King

i'm on my 5th one, all replaced under warranty. the last time, they also replaced something else (mass spectrometer?) that cost me about $200.00 but i haven't had a problem since. that was 35,000 miles ago. now at 115,000 miles, it's time to put the old girl out to pasture. cant wait for 2009!

Reply to
mysteryroach

I got the letter from GM myself. Was suprised....

Would love to get a 2009 but haven't cracked 16000 miles on my 2000 yet.

Reply to
Jimmy