GM may drop another brand due to lack of interest

Interesting article

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

Over the last year Pontiac as taken it on the chin over the GTO. Its time to lighten up and get a new Pontiac. If all we do is pick, pick, pick, Lutz is going to take the ball and go home. Pontiac can go the way of the Oakland with Saturn getting all the good stuff and be the new sport car leader.

Reply to
brxsep

Over the last year Pontiac as taken it on the chin over the GTO. Its time to lighten up and get a new Pontiac. If all we do is pick, pick, pick, Lutz is going to take the ball and go home. Pontiac can go the way of the Oakland with Saturn getting all the good stuff and be the new sport car leader.

Reply to
brxsep

Not at all surprising...Logic dictates that by deliberately mismanaging brands, they can drop one or two or as many as they wish to drop, to save costs.

From my perspective, I can live without Pontiac...Buick isn't what it used to be anymore, so that's sort of 50/50...worth saving, so they'll probably trash it like they did Oldsmobile. I mean...Buick made some great things in the past...The Grand National was a killer...and they killed it. Olds would have had a lot longer life if they didn't destroy all of the Olds designs and make it so people wouldn't be interested in buying them.

Pontiac...well...they'll PROBABLY be the brand that stays, since they only need to take Chevy designs and ruin the front and rear views of them to make Pontiacs anyway, right?

Personally, I'd rather see a new Camaro with a GM competitive model from another GM brand MUCH RATHER than seeing the exact same car with nothing but interior and exterior cues as the measure of differentiation between them.

Back to the old days when Olds did their thing...Chevy did theirs...Buick did theirs...because when they're all putting out different products with a majority of a common parts bin and technology front to draw on, they'll fight it out between themselves...they'll push themselves further...and since they're all under the same ownership, corporate-wise, no matter who wins, they all do!

Oh well...GM brass would never think like that...it's too common-sensical...

Reply to
ElectroPig

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 01:37:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (RSCamaro) puked:

Not surprising. Buick and Pontiac don't really have a truck or SUV so who do they appeal to? Corolla buyers?

-- lab~rat >:-) The less you care, the more it doesn't matter.

Reply to
lab~rat

Well, you gotta admit that the Buick designers even managed to save the Aztec as a "platform vehicle" one they fixed that horrendous front end...if they're gonna trash a brand name (and of course, a design team to go with it) I think they should scrap Pontiac.

The last truly impressive design that I can remember coming out of Pontiac was the Stinger in the late 80's/early 90's...but of course, they never brought it to market...they have a habit of killing their best designs and releasing their worst.

Reply to
ElectroPig

The Banshee....lest ye' forget!

GLK9MM