GM (Pontiac) Signal Switch Part # Verification Needed

I've got an 84 Firebird and am looking at converting to a DELAY wiper switch.

I need the part #(s) (or simply verification they are different) for the turn signal that is the 'base' for the stalk mount. The stalk is a dual purpose one that includes both direction indicator (up/down) and wiper (twist). I 'think' they used different ones based on whether the stalk had delay-wipers or 2-speed wipers - THAT's what I'm trying to verify. E.g. do I need to also switch out the signal switch inside the steering column in converting to factory delay wipers???

Also what year range did they use the same signal switch (w/ delay wipers) for? '82-??

Thanks

Reply to
pgtear

James Drinkwater

Well I called a Chevy dealer today. It turns out there are 2 different switches inside there that the single 'lever' mounts to. There's the turn signal switch activated by moving the lever up and down of course

- that switch doesn't care if it's a delay wiper or not. AND there's the wiper switch activated by rotating the same lever. This one does matter as to whether it requires a wiper delay feature or not.

I'm only going on a verbal description - haven't seen any pictures (yet) that differentiate the wiper vs signal switches both activated by the same lever. I was just guessing it was a single switch assembly.

The signal switch inside the column is pretty cheap and available. The wiper switch is much more expensive and has to be ordered through the dealer (or from a junker) unfortunately. Since I don't have any pix of what all is involved I'll eventually have to open up the column (always fun with a tilt unit) to see what it looks like and then replace with a wiper switch that includes delay. Should be interesting to see how these 2 switches 'separate' yet share a common lever.

I bet if I installed the delay wiper switch it would work kinda sorta as a temporary solution until I get the internal wiper switch in the column replaced. Just out of phase is all and no delay mode... I'd leave teh original motor in until hte switch could be replaced...

James Dr> Never saw an answer on this. Hope it's not too late to try.

Reply to
loadhawg

Let me Guess, you don't shop at real parts houses? NAPA parts numbers: ECHDS191 ECHWS6106 ECHWS6600

Im sure if I had a standard motor parts catalog it would list the items as well.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig