GM Working On A 'Mustang Competitor'!!

Page 1 of 16
Awesome news! Sounds like a new Camaro is in the planning.
By AUTOWEEK

--
Faced with the imminent introduction of an already highly praised
all-new 2005 Mustang this fall and nothing in the showroom to do

This is good news as long as GM doesn't emasculate it by making it front wheel drive like they did with the Impala, Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, etc., etc., etc. . . .
David

I don't think that will be a problem as long as Lutz is around. I'm more worried about styling than anything. GM has not had much to brag about in the looks department for a long time.
MadDAWG
On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 15:01:13 -0400, "MadDAWG"

A very long time. I wouldn't mind seeing them use the styling clues from the original Camaro as Ford did with the new Mustang.
--
You can run, but you'll only die tired.

ZombyWoof
They've done a hell of a good job on the new Corvette.

etc.,

etc.,
I think GM's styling has been getting better. The C-5 Corvettes look nice, the new SSR looks good with the top up or down.
The boys over at mopar are putting out some vehicals that look cool, so are the dearborn bunch. I hope GM will get the hint. Charles

David,
I think the "Lutz era" GM is smarter than that. They know their target - the RWD Mustang -- and I'm sure we'll see worthy and formidable challenger for the pony car crown.
Ford's all new Mustang will soon make it's showroom debut, soon to be followed by a Cobra version. D.C. has given their Charger concept a green light for production. And now GM says they have some competition for the Mustang in the plans. Ford's working on an all-new 6.2 liter cammer, D.C. has their 5.7 liter hemi, and there's talk of a larger 6.1 liter verion, and GM just introduced their sweet 6-liter LS2. Isn't life grand?
Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

etc.,
They had better hope gas prices drop back to below $1.80 per gallon or lower or the reception to these large displacement engines will be luke warm. If the bean counters don't sell enough copies of these, its back to the smaller engines. With prices over $2.00 per gallon in many areas for the entire month of May, I'm sure they are becoming concerned. John
I'm sure people who have deep enough pockets:
To afford these cars, would really give a shit about the price of gas, at even the $4.00 a gallon mark!
I wouldn't, just to go out and have some fun stomping ponies again!
Refinish King

front
lower
smaller

Great Point. And these newer cars get over 20 MPG average. So even at $4.00 it will cost them less per mile then my 85 T/A. Which no matter how high the prices get, she gets high test. Charles
On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 18:29:39 GMT, "David R. McCoy"

It appears that the trend is moving back to the front engine/RWD if the new offerings from D/Chrysler are any indication. So, is it gonna be a 5th gen F-body? It would be cool seeing a retro styled after the first gens sitting beside the new retro Stang. -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
Hi Lab, or may I call you rat?
How's the El Camino?
Refinish King

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 23:40:57 -0400, "Refinish King"
Either way, I've been called worse.

Coming along (slowly). Mechanically it's running great, just that annoying cancer to deal with...
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote

400 hp and 3300 lbs for $25000, none of the rest would matter. (Actually, in keeping with past Chevy practice they'd have to rate it 10 hp less than the Vette.)
180 Out TS 28
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (180 Out) wrote in

I never owned a Mustang, but that is one of the things that makes this car so attractive and explains why Ford still makes it: it is inexpensive. The price which the Firebird/Camaros climbed up to was outright offensive. Last I checked, the prices were starting close to $30k canadian, and over $40k for fully loaded convertibles. I would like to ask GM who in the hell they believe is going to pay this kind of money? If you want to compete with the rice car phenomenon, the pricing of the Firebird/Camaro would have to drop. I think GM screwed the line up by overpricing it. Their new replacement? To bring back the GTO. Big deal.. with GM's pricing, it will just be another failed attempt because they will charge way too much money for it.
Maybe GM will understand this one day and when they bring back the Firebird and Camaros, they will be able to make alot of money off of them again. The only reason they died off is because GM was not inventive and competitive enough to do battle with Mustang and the other sports cars out there. Just my 2 cents.

hell
have
will
Firebird
I disagree. That wasn't the only reason. I think one of the reasons is that the f-bodies competed with each other, not just the mustang. It's diminishing returns. If GM stuck with just the Camaro or just the Firebird, I think they'd would have done better but who's to say if even that would have succeeded.

You got a point there. But still, I think the car was too expensive any way you look at it.
Very good point:
They would have alienated either the Chevy or Pontiac diehards. A lose, lose proposition. I think they were as stupid as a fox in waiting to bring something back to the market for Chevrolet.
Pontiac has the GTO, I like it, but then there is no accounting for taste. When Chevy unveils it's new aire to the throne, look out Ford!
Refinish King
PS I think the SSR with a few mods could kick the shit out of the Mustang?
Any votes?

car
offensive.
over
money
out
Firebird,

lose
From what I have read, the SSR is one heavy puppy. Like over 4000 pounds. It only has the 5.3 V8 as well.
Maybe if you put it on the atkins car diet, and dropped in a Corvette Z06 405HP LS6. Charles
Maybe we could buy a wrecked one:
Do that and go pony hunting?
LOL
Refinish King