GM Working On A 'Mustang Competitor'!!

Page 15 of 16
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:34:33 GMT, vince garcia

Hey! How'd that happen? -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
lab~rat wrote:

The GTO only has 2 problems IMHO, bland exterior styling and GM. Well it's a Holden so maybe the GM thing isn't that much of a problem. There were a few discrepancies in their testing which put the GTO ahead, but I think it would have been a tied score with the same conclusion anyway. The Cobra trans got a 15 and the GTO a 20, that's funny, it's the same gearbox with different gearing. The 1/4 time for the Cobra was also suspect, 11.x to 100 but only 13.1@107 in the 1/4? A good driver should run a high 12.x@110 all night long, I've never been to the track and know I could run a low 13 my first time. And another thing, the blower whine is not negative! Adding a CAI makes it louder and frees up 20-30 horses. The exhaust is also corked, replacing the cat-back frees up another 10-20 horses, both for under $750.
My neighbor is thinking about getting one, the sales man told him it was faster than the Cobra, ha hehe! I set him straight, the sales droid was confused since the Mach and GTO have similar performance.
--
Mike
Silver 10th Anniversary Cobra Coupe

A lot of people think this sort of thing. Usually they are surprised their first few times at the track about what they run. Reguardless of vehical.
It takes practice to leave the line properly for decent 60 foot times. It takes a while to figure out the best launching RPM. Heck it takes most people a few trips thru just to learn how not to red light. You aught to go to a track and gfive it a try. If nothing else, you will know what your car will do. Charles
I think I can launch pretty good from just fooling around on an empty back road. If I can get good traction there, a few runs on a good track should be all I need to hone my skills. I wanted to go this saturday morning to a private event at MIR, but I'm not going to be able to make it. I still think Road & Track used a low 1/4 time for the Cobra and a high one for the GTO.
--
Mike
Silver 10th Anniversary Cobra Coupe

I don't read many magizines that I have to purchase (I let other people buy them, then read them when they are 6 months to a year old for free). I might have to purchase the Road & Track to see how things look.
Mesing around on the street might make you think your ready, untill you get your time slips. You might find you get your best runs, with the best 60 foot times starting off at RPM's you wouldn't think would be good for launching. Charles
What could they possibly gain by skewing the numbers?
It's all relative to them, plus they've always been more of a Mopar magazine if you read them in the 60's, 70's and some of the 80's like I did.
Refinish King
PS leaving the Christmas tree, is nothing like playing in the back alleys. Reaction time is what makes you a "BOY" or a man at the tree!
all night long, I've never been to the track and know I

Refinish King wrote:

Make the GTO's performance look better than ( or closer to) that of the Cobra.

This is true, but it has nothing to do with 1/4 time or speed.
--
Mike
Silver 10th Anniversary Cobra Coupe
but they couldn't give an infinitesimal fuck:
whether the GTO or the Cobra came out on top!
To them, they want to represent the car, I think you are just a little afraid of what lurks at the next red light?
Don't fear, the GTO owners are most likely in an older age group, who don't street race anymore!
Refinish King
PS To make time, if you sleep at the light, you lose time. If you smoke the sneakers, you lose time and MPH!

Refinish King wrote:

Nope, I know what I have.

RT has nothing to do with time or MPH, the clock don't start on the green. Two cars can run the exact same time and speed but the lower RT will cross the finish line first for the win.
--
Mike
Silver 10th Anniversary Cobra Coupe
Where may I ask did you get this information from:
for someone who never ran at the track?
Soon as it's green, tick, tock, tick, tock! You know what you have?
Obviously a teenager fixated that he has the fastest car made, until someone pulls up to you in what appears to be a shitbox on wheels. then commences to wipe your ass for a few hundred dollars on the local four lane, used as a weekend raceway!
Thinking you know what you have, until you are an experienced and "CONSISTENT' driver in that vehicle. means shit! until you ran it, become a consistent driver and then you know what you have.
Plus, there is the freak factor, where every once in a while. You get a car off of the assembly line, where everything went just right, and the car is an animal beyond belief.
Refinish King

Nope, I'll say it again, RT has nothing to do with 1/4 time or speed. The 1st beam = Pre-stage, 2nd beam = Staged, 3rd beam = RT clock stop & 1/4 time start. Just beacuse I've never raced doesn't mean I don't watch the sport. Teen, I wish...
--
Mike
Silver 10th Anniversary Cobra Coupe
I can back you up. Not a seasoned veteran by any means, but I've hit enough test + tune nights to know that as long as you don't move, the ET clock doesn't either. The RT clock just piles up. You can sit on the line for 15 seconds and run a 13-second ET.
My biggest problem was, in my '97 Cobra, that I thought I had the launches down just trying out highway onramps. What I found at the drag strip was nothing like the conditions on the street, and in street trim, the car wouldn't hook to save its life. I had to baby it out of the hole at 1200RPM, feathering the throttle the whole way. Had to grannyshift second to avoid going sideways. That all worked out after getting some drag radials.
So... if you're thinking of taking that fine machine to the dragstrip... just be prepared for something not quite street-like. It might bite off the line, or it might spin all day. Just be prepared. I was almost honorary guardrail club member, and I'd owned the car three whole days! :-)
JS

JS spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

On test-n-tune nights, yes you can. However, IIRC, during brackets/etc., timing starts when the lite hits green. :)

/me is curious. What mods you got? :) Also, those drag rads do make a world of difference, eh? :)

Heh. /me been there.
NOI
maybe even learn to shift without pushing the clutch to the floor?
Maybe even better, making it through without missing a gear in one pass?
Refinish King
all night long, I've never been to the track and know I couldrun

all night long, I've never been to the track and know I could

...and have it wear a Tri-shield! :)
Steve 72 Skylark

A Guy Named Steve wrote:

Hey Steve, goto ebay and do a search on "Kenne Bell". Look at the "GSX" that shows up.
--
Check out the gaming & computer forums at the [SS] clan site.
http://www.shamikaserver.com

It's pretty interesting, but appears to be a clone. They didn't make any X's from GS350's to my knowledge.
Steve 72 Skylark
A Guy Named Steve wrote:

Yeah he said he thought it was a cloned 350. Looks good in the picture though.
--
Check out the gaming & computer forums at the [SS] clan site.
http://www.shamikaserver.com

Yeah, but you jus can't beat a good 'Stang, guys, admit it. In fact I think you all should respond by agreeing that the Mustang is hands down the best most fastest car money can buy.