GM Working On A 'Mustang Competitor'!!

Page 4 of 16

I feel compelled to speak, for whatever reason.
I'm having a problem with brand loyalty. I've owned mostly Mustangs, but one mid '80's F-body and a Cavalier... with Probe GT and a T-bird SC thrown in for kicks. One might think I'm brand loyal, but I'm far from it.
I don't see anything in GM's lineup that looks all that exciting to me right now. If I wanted performance, I wouldn't be buying the plush GTO. I don't like SUV's, so that takes away a large portion of it. I don't really want a truck (though some days they'd be nice), but even if I did, I'd take an F150 as a work truck, or the new Ram (very close second). I'd probably take the Toyota as a third. As for passenger cars... I'd say DC's my top choice. I'd take the SRT-4 over an SVT Focus, a Stratus (even base model) over the ZX-3 or whatever the Escort's replacement was, and the base Neon over the Cavalier/Sunfire models. The Mustang Mach1 would supplant the GTO all day long, and for the price, I could just get a Cobra and stomp all over it. As for luxury performance models, the Acura RSX-S and the Lincoln LS are leading the list. To be fair, I just test-drove a '99 WS-6 convertible the other day. I like those cars as well, but they've gone by the wayside, and were way too expensive. They also ratlle like mad. My friend has an '02 SS w/ T-tops, and the car creaked every time I hit a bump. Sure did go like hell though.
You're allowed to like GM's powerplants. You have had luck with them. I've been in NYC limos that have had well over 300k on the Ford 4.6 SOHC and they're still running like tops, and you know those cars don't sleep. Arguing the longevity point is meaningless unless you've owned the vehicles from day one and have maintained them the same. Any Ford or Chevy will explode under negligence and abuse, and everyone turns out a lemon every now and then.
So... you can be brand loyal and allow the bowtie to cover your eyes, or you can explore your options. Either way, I'm not going to complain. You don't have to buy any Fords. You don't have to buy any DC products. Your money. Brand loyal fools will downplay the problems with the Taurus transmission, and argue that the Fiero only was self-igniting when owners didn't know what they were doing. I'm hoping you're not a fool.
But the shot about someone who works on his own cars wasn't called for. The only thing I let other people do to my car is play with the exhaust (and weld the subframes when I get out to have them done). That's stuff best left to the people with the tools to do so. I turn my own wrenches, just like you. Bowtie or Blue Oval.
Man, I really have to stop writing when I'm dead tired and ready for bed....
JS
Gotta leave it to 180 and Joe to come in here and put it down!
Don Manning
wrote

So you're talking about taking a brand new $42,000 to $50,000 two-seater and putting another $30,000 or so into it to make it something completely different from what it was (and in the process taking it into Viper and Porsche 911 territory). In other words, bench racing in the extreme.
Although I appreciate the creativity, I doubt if you could get the weight down too much just by replacing body panels. 300 lbs would be a miracle. The weight is carried mainly in the unibody, and you can't do much about that. And would a Rat even fit in one of these? I've seen underhood of just one and even that Gen 3 looked like a tight fit. Better to go with a supercharged LS6.

To go back to your 20-year-old pickup for an example is to admit defeat.

We were talking about "bow tires," not GTO's. Although I guess the GTO, with a Chevy motor and zero Pontiac parts, is more a bow tire than a Poncho.
Did you know that the GTO is the only Gen 3 vehicle that still runs the LS1 style heads. All others, including even trucks, run the LS6 style. Kind of sad, that "Pontiac" can't even put its best parts on its performance vehicle. "We build excitement," huh?
180 Out TS 28
P.S. Please realize I am no Chevy hater or blind-faithful brand loyalist. I just happen to have a '65 Mustang fb (cost me $2500) and a '70 Cleveland-equipped Cougar (cost me $1800) as my hobby cars at the moment. But prior to that was a '67 Z-28, a '67 Malibu SS 396, and a '66 big block Vette coupe.
wrote

My point is, since this is an actual vehical idea, it's not bench racing. Im serious about doing it. Serious engough that I turned down buying another project vehical. The lower cost route is to find one at a salvage auction and purchase it that way. Then sell the un-needed parts to salvage yards. A few Ideal with will take me to the auctions, and would be happy to buy any parts I didn't need from me at a fair price.

That's one of the problems with a vehical your have not seen dis-assembled. You have to guess at fitments. When you see one dis-assembled you can take measurements and know plus/minus the normial error factor what should fit.
I thought I had read that the SSR was body on frame built. I may be mistaken. If it is The standard diet methiods would work well. If it's uni-body, the only diet methiod that will work is a tube frame.

Not really. That 20 year old pickup out works most newer trucks. It does the duty that most people would need a 1 ton for.
I said I would Rather Havea Chevy then a Ford. Does that mean Im buying new vehicals? My last new vehical purchase was in 1998, a Buick Century. Which my mother picked out. When that got totaled, I went out and bought a used one of the same year, color, and almost the exact same options. That car is for driving her places in.She chose what she likes to ride in. If she left the chose to me, I would have bought a S-10 Blazer Extreame. Then sold the 4.3 V6 and dropped in the 350 I have on one of my engine stands, with the TPI set up from my 87 GTA.
I buy a lot of used vehicals. Some to rebuild & sell, some to drive and sell, and some to part out. Out of the vehicals I own right now, I have 2 buicks. 2 Pontiacs, 2 Toyota's, 1 Isuzu, 1 Ford, 1 Rambler, 1 Nash, and the rest are Chevy's.

The GTO is a Holden. Which is GM's Austrailian brand. Holdens use parts from all other GM makes. I would really like to see GM bring over the Holden Ute SS.

A few more Holden vehicals use the LS1 heads. While the GTO is the only US sold vehical that does. I don't know why. Could have been emmissions?Who knows.

People assume Im a brand hater as well. I like what I like. Some people hear would freak out knowing what I am doing with 2 toyota's.Let alone the fact that I like Toyota's. Charles
<_lots_ of stuff snipped>

Charly, Elkys aren't trucks. They're cars with beds instead of trunks.

I know what Elky's are Jo-Jo. I have trucks for heavy hauling. A car biased truck is more comfortable to ride around in chasing down parts then a truck is. Hell driving around or riding around in our Suburban with a trailer over 2000 pounds hitched to the back all day will take the man out of most people.
Charles

Yeah. Right. Jus don't be callin' Elkys and even Rancheros trucks. Cuz they ain't. Dey's cars.

Tell that to the DMV and the government then. They're classified as trucks. My 'Chero has a HD rear suspension with coilovers and 10 leafs each side. It's got a hitch and can tow anything a new F-150 can and has done so on numerous occasions. It's a truck.
--
Scott W.
'66 Mustang HCS

Light trucks, and as such are absent from the Standard Catalog of American Cars and the Catalog of American Car ID Numbers. They are referred to as trucks in the Ranchero Source Book.

Are you claiming this as a factory option?
CobraJet

No, I didn't mean to be misleading if I was, but it's there. The PO put it all in there cause he has a "rock band" and had to load up the bed and tow a big enclosed trailer with all the equipment. I've used it to tow the '66 on a dolly and my brother's '83 El Camino on a trailer (how embarrassing for him, heh). Of course the motor's been gone through and is getting ~1hp per cid and ~275 lb/ft range. No, I don't have dyno slips but that's not an SOP estimate either. My engine builder has been building circle track and drag motors for longer than I've been alive and runs a few "Legends" cars and has a Dr. Pepper/Mountain Dew sponsorship locally for one of the truck series (fiberglass bodies). I trust his estimate. It's a '68 302 that's now a 10:1 310cid with Edelbrock induction and MSD ignition (obviously more there than just that but a quick overview). This sucker rides as hard as a brick, kinda like an F-150 from the 70's (or a Ranchero with too much spring in the rear). Without any weight in the bed, the rearend jumps a bit sideways over the slightest manhole. It's so light it makes for some hair raising experiences occasionally.
--
Scott W.
'66 Mustang HCS

I don't care what the FMVA calls it. An Elky is a car with a bed instead of a back seat and a trunk.
wrote

Based on that logic, all the minivans aren't even van's. They're all really Intrepid's, Taurus's, Accord's, and Camry's, etc. And the H2 POS is just a Tahoe.
--
Scott W.
'66 Mustang HCS

Exactly! Especially the H2.

Transalation: If I were a human being I'd be dead by now.

Translation: GM and Chrysler buy their acid from the same supplier I do.

Translation: Chevrolet still sells cars so I'm on a spiralling chemically-induced rant into the bowels of Hell.

Translation: Angel dust gives me illusions of grandeur.

Translation: Angel dust frees up my suppressed memories.

Translation: The fact that I don't know the difference between "delude" and "deduce" is inconsequential, as the angel dust made both my eyes fall into a bowl of cherries.

Translation: Only dorks use words like "regards".

Translation: Despite my meds and the dust, I still know what I like best in life.
CobraJet

Damn, CJ, how you've mellowed with age...
Joe,
I am the only one that sees a possible Thunder Alley coming up? I shudder to think what would come out of CJ during TA. It has been a while you know.
Don Manning

I'll tell ya Don, I've always hoped for one but who knows? CJ seems to have evolved beyond those days. I've seen a bit of thrashing here and there, but nothing recent matches the TA posts from years ago. Even if CJ never revives TA, I'll have many fond memories.

After I posted that I went back last night and re-read tons of TA posts. Remember Jethro?
Don Manning

ROTFLMAO! Yup. :)
Joe Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC Calypso Green '93 Mustang 5.0 LX hatch with a few goodies