Headlights keep going out on my 99 firebird

I hope someone can help me. My headlights keep going out on my firebird I have to basically change them almost every 6 months. Like my passanger side went out on Friday and then Sunday I went to hang
out with one of my friends and I went to leave and all I had was my fog lights and my high beams. I had to basically drive all the way home(about an hour) with my highbeams on and I know people must have been upset with me. But anyways one of my friends told me it might be an electirical problem but I'm not sure. Has anyone else had this problem or know how I might fix it? Let me know of any ideas. Thanks
~Kim

First, are you sure the old bulbs are burnt out? Did you check them for continuity with a multimeter or you can just look at them sometimes and tell? If they were burnt out then you need to pull out the socket and check for corrosion. If you see green inside the socket then the bulbs may not be getting a good connection. If that is not it, then there may be a damaged (missing insulation) wire in the lighting circuit somewhere. Possibly a bad ground. Turn on the headlights and wiggle some lighting wires around to see if they flicker. The only other thing that I might check would be the alternator. Go to Autozone or your favorite auto parts store and have them check the alternator. That's all I can think of right now. Electrical is always fun on newer model cars! <g>
AA
Try a different brand of headlights. I had the same issue on my 96 Z28. I went through 3 sets in 18 months. I have a set of Wagners in the car now and they've been in for about 3 years.
My car uses the old style headlights, so I don't know if Wagner makes bulbs for the newer style cars, but at least try something different than you have now.
Gary

Need4speedchick wrote:

You should have someone check the voltage. Your alternator might be bad.
I have the EXACT same problem! My only thing is that everytime one of my headlights go out (for less than 3 days if I happen to notice it quickly) I get pulled over. Which happened last night. My drivers side headlight went out, immediately pulled over. The officer just said "get it fixed" and I kindly let him know that these cars "eat" headlights and I had everything to fix it in the car. They don't sell the bulb at walmart anymore and the auto parts stores were closed at 8:30 last night. THEN on the way home my other bulb went out! I had to drive on high beam all the way home too! I go through every bulb in about a 3 month cycle. I don't think the Sylvania brand I have been using is a quality bulb anymore. I am going to look for another brand.
I have the occasional drop on voltage on the alternator, but it still has a lot of life in it. I have had 3 Camaros and this 99 firebird and know all about alternators failing. If the belt gets wet and it slips, then the voltage drops, but it soon picks back up. So not an alternator issue. Thats just the nature of the beast.