Hei distibutor

Have a small block chevy with an Hei unit. All stock. Do not have spark. If I remove the distibutor, connect a jumper from the battery, and spin it by hand, it fires. If I reach over and set the distibutor in the block, with the jumper, it will not fire. The rotor is spinning, and the unit is grounded. Any ideas?

Reply to
JBH

Yup..coils shorted to ground. Check your rubber isolator on the BOTTOM of the coil....bet you find arcing and carbon traces..

Reply to
CBHVAC

Thanks for the reply. The new distributor has a new cap and coil. This cap and coil work on an old distributor I had in the garage. I'd use the old unit, but the advance is rusted and not working.

Reply to
JBH

there's most likely a defective pickup coil in the reman distributor:

Possibly too much end play too, when you install it, the shaft gets pushed up and the reluctor doesn't excite the pick up coil.

I hope this helps?

Reply to
Refinish King