HELP!!!! My Trans-Am won't start.

I have tested the starter it checks out fine, I have a new and fully charged battery, I have use a test light to check out the battery cable that goes to the starter and it checks out good, I also use a test light on the small ignition wire that goes to the starter and had turned the ignition key and it check out good,(the test light lit up) but when I hook up the battery cable and ignition wire to the starter and install the starter nothing happens. All the instructment lights come on like they should when you are trying to start the car but the starter doesn't work. I use the test light on the small ignition wire while still connected to the starter and the starter installed and i notice that there is no power going to the starter, but if i disconnect the small ignition wire and test it, there is power going though it. Somebody help me out because it doesn't make sense to me and i'm losing my mind on this.

Reply to
lockupman1

could there be a break in the wire that causes it to loose power when you bend it?

--

S.S.I.N.

jump the starter from the ignition terminal to the battery terminal, if she cranks your starter is ok. Saw a bad solenoid do this once. Also try putting it in neutral...transmission safety switches go bad too!

TIGER~

Reply to
TIGER

Sounds like the same thing that has happened to my Formula... power everywhere but at the S terminal.. so I am going to try a wire from the s terminal to the pos battery terminal and see if it cranks... we'll see...

Well, catch ya later,

-Geno

1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L w/ T-tops 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L w/ T-tops (Up for sale on Autotrader.com) Still looking for an '82 T/A 5.0L w/ T-tops
Reply to
Geno

Since you didn't mention the year of your car I'll guess: VATS

Reply to
Big Dav160

I just got mine running again... how did you test your starter? Just have it bench tested? If so, you might want to go to autozone and get a new starter like I did.. 52 bucks for lifetime guarantee.. anyway, I hooked it up and fired right up.. even after the shop guys said my other starter is good.. so it might be your seloinoid.. just my $.02.

Well, catch ya later,

-Geno

1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L w/ T-tops 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L w/ T-tops (Up for sale on Autotrader.com) Still looking for an '82 T/A 5.0L w/ T-tops
Reply to
Geno

Well I've figured it out everybody, it was my vats system, I just by-pass it and now everything is just fine. Thanks for the help guys.

Reply to
lockupman1

Ahhh....the VATS strikes again.

GLK9MM