Hey Fella's

New to this newsgroup, just got my first Bird. Bought a '67. Doing a resto-mod. Car started life as a 6cyl. 2spd powerglide. Previous owner shoved a 305 and I believe to be a 700r4 trans in it from the early
eighties. And did a poor job of it. I am going to be putting a 400 Pontiac from 1974 into the car and was wondering what I am going to need for frame mounts, and if I will need to do any other mods to make it bolt in. I will be backing it up with a THM 400 built to handle 500hp, unles you guys have any other suggestions. I am always open to good tips. The car will take on the appearance of a factory 400, with a few up to date mods for better suspension and safety.
Thanks in advance, Larry Gurnee, Illinois

In '67 the v-8 available was a 400, so just buy the frame mts. for it. Frame mounts for a 301 Pont. in later F'birds will allow a 400-bolt-in. Be sure you get the TH 400 with the BOP bolt pattern--or even better, a TH 400 with the dual bolt pattern, that includes Chev for the 2nd pattern. Also, that 400 Turbo-H can be beefed up to shift stronger w/o buying a shift kit--merely involves drilling slightly larger holes(2?) in the valve body plate & running w/trans fluid 1 quart low. A suggestion: using that TH 400-$, why don't you have a 700R4 beefed up as it will also supply overdrive to your car--better fuel mileage AND allowance for a good drag gear--that trans's o/d drops a 4.11:1 diff. gear by 30%, i.e., 4.11X70%=2.88 final ratio! or a 4.56 to 4.56X.7=3.19 final ratio! Luck to you. s
Get the 700R4 built to handle the power and hook it up to a Pontiac block with an adapter plate. Nobody will know it's in there and you get overdrive. Since you're swapping engines, why not go with a 455?
-rev

Going with the 400 just ecause i was able to find one. 455's are in short supply. What king of issues will I have mounting 700r4 to a pontiac motor. Will there be any problems down the road?

You'll need a Chevrolet to BOP adaptor plate. Other than that there should be no problem.
Gary