How much oil does it take?

I recently purchased a 1996 Camaro Z28 with the LT1 engine. According to the Hanes manual, the car should take 5 quarts of 5w-30 oil, however, after fully draining the system and changing the oil filter,
the car only took 4 quarts. Any idea why this is?
When I bought the car, the oil level was about an inch over the dipsticks acceptable oil level line indicating that the previous owner had overfilled the system by about a quart. This contributed to alot of oil being thrown into the throttle body through the PCV valve and breather hoses. My guess is that he thought the car should take the recommended 5 quarts.
The car was level when I changed the oil and was completely drained before I put the new oil in. Any idea why this might be? Has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks for the help folks.
-Nathaniel

The Oil cooler maybe ?

yes on other vehicles, the books arn't always correct , esp if the vehicle is modified.
I hope this has cured your problem.
--
terminal snipped-for-privacy@sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk

I own a 96 LT1 Z28 myself. It takes 5 quarts. Sounds to me as though the dipstick may have been replaced with the wrong one.
Gary

officespace2 wrote:

I know this might seem like a dumb question, but did you start the car after putting in the fresh oil? The oil filter typically accounts for about a quart of oil which if replaced and the engine was not started and run to distribute the oil would leave you with a 1 quart oil hole (from the standpoint that you would be a quart low after running it the first time).
If you did run it, then it could be that it has the wrong dipstick, this is assuming there is not a big dent in the oil pan.
--
Cy Welch
89 Camaro RS 5.0 TBI
Cy Welch wrote:

I don't have that car, but when I first got my TA I used to drain it on ramps and due to the location of the drain plug, around a half quart would remain in the pan. Now I jack it to the side of the plug and get most of it out.
-- Anthony 1990 Trans Am