How to Test Fusible Links 88 GTA

Hi,

I want to test the fusible links at the starter and at the battery. I have a voltmeter. My plan is to disconnect the wires attaching to the starter, and touch the positive lead from the tester to each wire, and the neg lead to a ground, and see if there is voltage with key on, key off, and in "start" position, for each wire.

Is this a safe way to test the fusible links? I don't want to cut any wires if I can avoid it. The links at the starter are just one inch long rubber things, and seem to be builtin to the wire, no place to disconnect / replace them other than cutting them out.

I've heard the links would be visibly "toast" if they were bad, and these all look perfect, so am I wasting my time testing them ?

Thanks

Reply to
Lecher9000

It depends. Has your car just mysteriously quit before? I've found that testing with the meter (ohms) typically doesn't work. Most of the time, the link will carry pass just enough current to register good. The outer casing will also look normal. The only way would be to amp test in some way, with a regulated power supply. Me, I recommend spares...

Reply to
Ken

All you have to do is pull on them with your fingers. If the wire is burned (open circuit) the insulation many times looks OK but will give away with little tug.

Reply to
Big Dav160

I checked the links again yesterday. One of the wires was split lengthwise, and hollowed out. Either I just missed it before, or the big spark I caused at the alternator while putting a socket on a bolt fried the link !

I'm going to replace the link (link *s* since there are actually 3 on one ring) and hope it fixes everything semi-permanently.

Reply to
Lecher9000

Lecher9000 Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

Glad you found it. FL's are interesting, I have to admit, when they go. Sometimes, like in your case, they get so hot that as they're melting, they burn thru the wire bottom...

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck