Is this a real 1987 GTA?

5.7L with T-tops. missing sail panel emblems. everyhting else looks correct. but I have heard that t-tops were not offered in 87. Correct?

correct.
T-tops were indeed offered in '87. The easy things to look for are the gold emblems (sail birds, GTA on the fender, and the nose emblem), the gold bird around the rear hatch key-lock, the lack of fender vents down on the sides near the GFX towards the door, the gold on the map pouch (either a 'bird or "GTA"), the gold crosslaced rims, and the commonly missed one, the gold "Pontiac" on the front edge of the driver's headlight. And of course, the RPO code in either the centre console or the storage compartment in the back. "Y84" I believe.

Hi, Thanks for the info. The car has the Y84 RPO code so it is a real GTA even if its missing the sail panel birds. All the other emblems are there. Havent seen a good pic of the dash pouch though. I guess the RPO code is proof enough. He tells me that the t-tops were a dealer installed option. The panels have "Cars and Concepts" etched into the glass. He sent me a pic of the SPI label and the CC1 (t-tops)code isnt on it What I am trying to decide is whether non factory t-tops will detract from the value of the car or not. Any opinions?
Wes

even
Havent
have
from
As for detracting from the value of the car, I'd have to say yes. Given two identical cars, one with factory t-tops and one with aftermarket, the factory car would likely be more desirable. However, we're talking about an '87 GTA here. It's not a Ferrari, these aren't $100k cars where the slightest blemish would drastically affect the value. If it's a clean install and they don't leak, and you're not planning a concurs winning factory restoration, the difference would be negligible.
And get sub frame connectors welded in if it doesn't have them already. Especially with that 5.7 under the hood. ;)