LT1 electric supercharger ?

Hello,

Do you know is an electric supercharger like this one :

works or not ? It's very cheap, but I'm afraid this is a scam...

Thanks for your replies

Michel

Reply to
Tab

By the way, if you notice that most of these auctions are private auctions, so that you cant contact the buyer and laugh at them (or at least kindly tell them the mistake they are making).

Reply to
PeptoP

Actually, I would look into this. An electric charger is plausible and quite doable, but there is more to it than this. A buddy of mine and I rolled this idea around a few years ago. You could conceivably do this with a 3-5hp model airplane engine and a bit of work. You'll also need to make sure you're charging properly etc. (I mean alternator and such....not the super charger.)

Anyway, not impossible.

: > Do you know is an electric supercharger like this one : : >

: > works or not ? It's very cheap, but I'm afraid this is a scam... : >

: > Thanks for your replies : >

: > Michel : >

: >

: :

Reply to
GLK9MM

It's not a bad idea, but... It's a 300cfm blower, though. At WOT how much is your engine pulling? 650? 700? It will drag on the air coming into the engine and it isn't designed for significant air pressure increase even if was trying to flow more than the engine was drawing so no real help there in any situation.

The Vampire, "Muffin Man"

Reply to
The Vampire Muffin Man

Come on.. if it were that simple, why would people even consider belt driven superchargers...? The reason his "supercharger" won't blow up an engine is because it can't.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Its a complete scam. That is an engine compartment exhaust fan for boats. No matter what the cfm it flows, it couldnt possibly provide what is needed for performance PRESSURE! That is not a pressure pump, just a cheesy exhaust fan. Antother thing to consider is the fact that its a private auction, Scam auctions are private so people cant contact the buyer/seller and let them know its borderline illegal to sell an exhaust fan as a supercharger.

Reply to
Rommel

Rommel Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

This is what did it for me:

From the auction:

Lol. We all know how the tornado does not work. If it did, then polishing intakes/heads would be a waste of time.

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

BUAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

OMG....

THAT is NOT anything but a Fasco induction blower, used in HVAC applications..LOL>..OMG>..toooo funny. If you look at the larger pic, you can make out FASCO on the tab... The skinny white label, that has the black surround around white letters..LOL..that says FASCO. Its an induction blower for a furnace guys... and 300CFM?? MAYBE on a good day.

Reply to
CBHvac
8 more miles per gallon and 20 hp even when it's not on!! Wow!! Imagine how much more you'd get if you never installed it in the 1st place.

Jay S

Reply to
Jay S

If no one's mentioned it already, Thomas Knight Turbos in Florida is working on a true electric supercharger. Says it will revolutionize that part of the industry. But, I dunno. You can read about it on their website which I can't think of at the moment but I'm sure google can.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Horsepower is a meaningless number (except to idiots that don't know anything.)" "Horsepower and torque cross at 5252RPM. Any horsepower after that is simply wasted work." -- Devils944

Reply to
Brad

I wouldn't be too surprised. I'm sure the key to it will be a computer and a dedicated generator, though. If anyone finds, I'd like to read. Busy now...

Love this. Ricers everywhere cringe at it, I imagine....

The Vampire, "Muffin Man"

Reply to
The Vampire Muffin Man

It's crap.

quote: "This works similar to the popular gas saving tornado also it can give you up to 8 more miles per galon even when its not on.."

I repeat, it's crap.

Reply to
Luke

The cars battery could easily supply that much power for a short burst. Say a 1/4 mile for instance. I'd still want to see one work before I spent any of my money on one. - Gary

Reply to
Gary - KQ6RT

Hmm... Motor geared to spin the buisness end of a turbo at speed? Put it anywhere, don't need as much intercooler, computer controlled boost with no waste. I always did think it was a hell of an idea. It just needs someone to make it work...

The Vampire, "Muffin Man"

Reply to
The Vampire Muffin Man

A buddy of mine in college who was kind of a engineering techno-weenie gearhead type tried fashioning and hooking up an electric blower to an old 4-cyl VW Jetta beater just to see if he could make it work. It DID work. Sort of. As I can recall, he had to modify a small motor (with an impeller/fan/blower head) using a variable resistor (or something) so the blower's CFPM output could change according to the engine's speed. He then designed a simple small IC-circuit controller thing that raised or lowered the blower's speed according to engine RPM, there were sensors attached to it. He placed this assembly in an air intake tube and stuck it between the head of the air intake and the throttle body.

When the thing was switched off, the air just moved normally, past the blower assembly, through the tube, to the engine, like usual. When activated, it kinda acted like a very, very tired out-of-tune turbo. The thing would produce a little bit of kick, but, it sort of stutter-stepped it's way up to WOT, not very smooth at all cuz the motor computer had a hard time keeping up with the signals it was receiving from the engine's RPM sensor, and when you'd lift off the throttle, it took a second or two for the motor to wind down... you'd have to keep sticking the clutch in or the damned thing would just still lurch ahead on you.

An interesting experiment, but in a nutshell, you can't have an independent air source (turbo & superchargers are part OF engines) feeding your engine and expect it to function smoothly. Electric motors that can change their RPM both up and down as quickly as a conventional engine can and work in concert with it are hard to come by - do they even exist at all?

So, it CAN work. But it looks as though the right engineering just isn't there yet.

Reply to
SG

Actually, I put that there because Devils944 is a moron. Torque is nothing without rpm, which equals horsepower. And if horsepower above

5252 is wasted work, then there would be no reason to rev to 7, 8, 9, or even 18,000 rpm. There's nothing magical about 5252. If an engine makes more power revving to 15k, then that's what you rev it to. He just likes to argue that a "torquey" 150hp 944 can beat just about any non-Porsche because it's, well, a Porsche. He and some of his buddies have also questioned that a Chevy V8 can really make 600hp, so there you go.
Reply to
Brad

Ah... So it's opposite reasoning, but same goal. Now that I re-read it, it is a stupid statement from that point of view.

The Vampire, "Muffin Man"

Reply to
The Vampire Muffin Man