LT1 => LT4 conversion

Hello all.
I'm checking to see if anyone has the definitive answer to this:
If I take an LT1 and swap the cam for an LT4 Hot Cam and swap in LT4 heads and
intake, then top it off with an assumed adjustment to the computer program, do I then, essentially, have an LT4?
Are there any other differences that I am not aware of?
Marshall G. Ward, III
1996 T/A, WS6, 6-Speed, Med Dk Green, Hardtop, T43 Spoiler, 10 Spk CD, Pwr Ant, Graphite cloth, Pwr seat, Keyless entry w/alarm, Leather Appointments Group MODS: !CAGS, K&N, Synthetic Engine/Trans/Diff fluid, Magna Flow Muffler Hotchkis 2 pt STB and SFC's, B&M Ripper shifter License Frame:"One of 2051/1996 Ram Air Trans Am" License Plate: "RAIR TA"
That sounds essentially correct to me. I've been looking into this myself. You might want to look for the complete GM conversion package: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=pk12550630
If you decide to do it, send me an email letting me know how it turned out!
BTW: does anyone know if a conversion like this is recommended in an LT1 with some miles on it? e.g. 140,000k? Or would it be wise to either get a complete LT4, newer LT1 or just "rebuild" mine before doing the conversion?
Thanks, -Rob

: Hello all.
: I'm checking to see if anyone has the definitive answer to this:
: If I take an LT1 and swap the cam for an LT4 Hot Cam and swap in LT4 heads and : intake, then top it off with an assumed adjustment to the computer program, do : I then, essentially, have an LT4?
: Are there any other differences that I am not aware of?
: Marshall G. Ward, III
: 1996 T/A, WS6, 6-Speed, Med Dk Green, Hardtop, T43 Spoiler, 10 Spk CD, Pwr Ant, : Graphite cloth, Pwr seat, Keyless entry w/alarm, Leather Appointments Group : MODS: !CAGS, K&N, Synthetic Engine/Trans/Diff fluid, Magna Flow Muffler : Hotchkis 2 pt STB and SFC's, B&M Ripper shifter : License Frame:"One of 2051/1996 Ram Air Trans Am" License Plate: "RAIR TA"
I hate following up to my own posts, but, it's been well over a week since I asked the question. Surely, someone on this newsgroup knows the answer?
Marshall G. Ward, III
1996 T/A, WS6, 6-Speed, Med Dk Green, Hardtop, T43 Spoiler, 10 Spk CD, Pwr Ant, Graphite cloth, Pwr seat, Keyless entry w/alarm, Leather Appointments Group MODS: !CAGS, K&N, Synthetic Engine/Trans/Diff fluid, Magna Flow Muffler Hotchkis 2 pt STB and SFC's, B&M Ripper shifter License Frame:"One of 2051/1996 Ram Air Trans Am" License Plate: "RAIR TA"
The only differences I know of in the bottom end are: LT4's are all four bolt mains. In LT1's only the Corvettes got four bolt main blocks. LT4's use the new technology powdered metal rods, which are stronger than the old style LT1 rods. LT4's use all metal double roller timing sets, and I believe LT1's use the single roller chains with the plastic cam gear. The proper timing gear set may come with the LT4 conversion. The LT4 bottom end is definitely a bit stronger, but I doubt Chevrolet would be selling the conversion kits if they thought it would be a serious problem - Gary

: The only differences I know of in the bottom end are: LT4's are all four : bolt mains. In LT1's only the Corvettes got four bolt main blocks. LT4's use : the new technology powdered metal rods, which are stronger than the old : style LT1 rods. LT4's use all metal double roller timing sets, and I believe : LT1's use the single roller chains with the plastic cam gear. The proper : timing gear set may come with the LT4 conversion. The LT4 bottom end is : definitely a bit stronger, but I doubt Chevrolet would be selling the : conversion kits if they thought it would be a serious problem - Gary
Thanks for the response. I couldn't remember if there was anything else. I wasn't sure about the main bearings and there isn't much I can do about that. I also wasn't aware that Chevy sold a kit for the conversion. I assumed I'd have to get the parts seperately. I'll have to check in to that. You wouldn't have a GM part number for the kit, would you??? It might be cheaper than buying the parts from other sources.
I agree that the bottom end shouldn't be a problem. Lots of folks are running Vortechs on the stock LT1 bottom without problems.
Marshall G. Ward, III
1996 T/A, WS6, 6-Speed, Med Dk Green, Hardtop, T43 Spoiler, 10 Spk CD, Pwr Ant, Graphite cloth, Pwr seat, Keyless entry w/alarm, Leather Appointments Group MODS: !CAGS, K&N, Synthetic Engine/Trans/Diff fluid, Magna Flow Muffler Hotchkis 2 pt STB and SFC's, B&M Ripper shifter License Frame:"One of 2051/1996 Ram Air Trans Am" License Plate: "RAIR TA"
: wrote: :> : Hello all.:> :> : I'm checking to see if anyone has the definitive answer to this::> :> : If I take an LT1 and swap the cam for an LT4 Hot Cam and swap in LT4: heads and :> : intake, then top it off with an assumed adjustment to the computer: program, do :> : I then, essentially, have an LT4?:> :> : Are there any other differences that I am not aware of?:> :> :> : Marshall G. Ward, III:> :> : 1996 T/A, WS6, 6-Speed, Med Dk Green, Hardtop, T43 Spoiler, 10 Spk CD,: Pwr Ant, :> : Graphite cloth, Pwr seat, Keyless entry w/alarm, Leather Appointments: Group :> : MODS: !CAGS, K&N, Synthetic Engine/Trans/Diff fluid, Magna Flow Muffler :> : Hotchkis 2 pt STB and SFC's, B&M Ripper shifter :> : License Frame:"One of 2051/1996 Ram Air Trans Am" License Plate: "RAIR: TA" :> :> I hate following up to my own posts, but, it's been well over a week since :> I asked the question. Surely, someone on this newsgroup knows the answer?:> :> :> Marshall G. Ward, III:> :> 1996 T/A, WS6, 6-Speed, Med Dk Green, Hardtop, T43 Spoiler, 10 Spk CD, Pwr: Ant, :> Graphite cloth, Pwr seat, Keyless entry w/alarm, Leather Appointments: Group :> MODS: !CAGS, K&N, Synthetic Engine/Trans/Diff fluid, Magna Flow Muffler :> Hotchkis 2 pt STB and SFC's, B&M Ripper shifter :> License Frame:"One of 2051/1996 Ram Air Trans Am" License Plate: "RAIR TA":> :>
Check out www.gmpartsdirect.com . Look under the "Featured Parts" section to the right of the main page. There they have what they call the LT1 to LT4 conversion kit. It includes the heads, intake, aluminum roller rockers, the LT4 "Hot cam", and all the various gaskets and seals you need for the conversion. All for $2100. The LT4 "hot cam" isn't smog legal in California, if that is an issue for you. Sounds like a helluva deal to me! - Gary

: Check out www.gmpartsdirect.com . Look under the "Featured Parts" section to : the right of the main page. There they have what they call the LT1 to LT4 : conversion kit. It includes the heads, intake, aluminum roller rockers, the : LT4 "Hot cam", and all the various gaskets and seals you need for the : conversion. All for $2100. The LT4 "hot cam" isn't smog legal in California, : if that is an issue for you. Sounds like a helluva deal to me! - Gary
Hmmm. I wonder why it wouldn't be smog legal in CA? They certainly sold LT4 Camaros and Vettes in CA.
$2100 DOES sound like a good deal for the whole package. Thanks for the tip.
Marshall G. Ward, III
1996 T/A, WS6, 6-Speed, Med Dk Green, Hardtop, T43 Spoiler, 10 Spk CD, Pwr Ant, Graphite cloth, Pwr seat, Keyless entry w/alarm, Leather Appointments Group MODS: !CAGS, K&N, Synthetic Engine/Trans/Diff fluid, Magna Flow Muffler Hotchkis 2 pt STB and SFC's, B&M Ripper shifter License Frame:"One of 2051/1996 Ram Air Trans Am" License Plate: "RAIR TA"
This kit contains what is known as the "Hot Cam", which is sold over the counter only. The standard LT4 cam was a little milder. The "Hot Cam" was supposed to be good for another 30 hp over the standard LT4 cam. - Gary