manifold

went to get the catalytic converter fixed..........found out they cant fix it because manifold has to be fixed because it is only being held by one bolt and if new cat is put it might now hold it and brake..................not only is that one problem but he tells me(Superior Pontiac Service manager) that i have like three other codes i believe that he said 02 sensor, a misfire, and one more that i cant remember which ill post up when i find out..............but if anybody has any suggestions on what to do or what can i do let me know..................converter is under warranty but wont be changed because they said i need new manifold.............for a new manifold about $800.00? are the other codes a bid deal ill get the manifold fixed.......but the other codes will have to wait..............to be fixed.............what to do you guys recommend

-- danny
View this thread: http://www.carstalk.net/viewtopic-407016.htm
Send from http://www.carstalk.ne
What year/model car?

High Danny, it was kind of hard to follow through your message but I think you are saying, that your dealer is saying, that your manifold needs to be replaced with a new one because it is being held on by one bolt, and that will cost you $800 out of pocket? They won't put a new cat on because of the manifold issue. Okay well gee, I wonder where those other bolts went. But whatever, why not just purchase relatively inexpensive replacement bolts then a whole new manifold isn't needed?!
I'm no expert and haven't seen your car but man, this just smells bad to me. If I were you I would invest in a cheap (like $70) OBD-II code reader at Walmart so you can read all the codes yourself, and then get under that car and look at the manifold. Or have someone else other than that dealer look it over if you don't have the means to yourself. One way or the other I would at least get a second opinion here chief.
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 05:51:35 +0200, danny

because manifold has to be fixed because it is only being held by one bolt and if new cat is put it might now hold it and brake..................not only is that one problem but he tells me(Superior Pontiac Service manager) that i have like three other codes i believe that he said 02 sensor, a misfire, and one more that i cant remember which ill post up when i find out..............but if anybody has any suggestions on what to do or what can i do let me know..................converter is under warranty but wont be changed because they said i need new manifold.............for a new manifold about $800.00? are the other codes a bid deal ill get the manifold fixed.......but the other codes will have to wait..............to be fixed.............what to do you guys recommend?

warranty the cat, why not the manifold? Either way you need to repair/replace the manifold and cat, then worry about the other codes. Possibly the other codes came up because of the exhaust problems. Either way it will all need to be fixed, 'cuz if you half as it the cat will probably burn out again if you keep driving it with a problem. Greg
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:35:12 -0500, "Greg O"

It can also be that engine problems caused the cat to go bad. I think he did mention misfires and other codes. Too much fuel hitting the cat will kill it prematurely for example.

First, recommend that you learn how to post.
That said, and if I follow correctly:
What manifold? The exhaust? If so, you should have noticed that long ago. The noise alone would tip you off. If intake...well, then its about damn impossible for it to have ran, but...anythings possible...I guess.
If the cats shot, the exhaust manifold was leaking, and you have been tooling around town for weeks, then you can kinda expect an O2 sensor trip.
Let them fix the manifold and replace the cat and O2, and reset the ECM. Chances are pretty good if its been driven for any period of time like that, with an O2 reading out of spec, that the ECM tried to a point to correct the out of variance reading, and in doing so, set up your misfire, thus tripping a code for that, and possibly others. One item, going bad, or reading wrong, can cascade codes, and while you might have 4 or more, only one item was actually bad.
Always an arrogant ass in the bunch.
Who really cares how someone posts?