Manual Transmission - 2 Questions

Hi,

Just a quick question. I just purchased a 1995 Pontiac Firebird. It's a standard transmission. When I start the car and go to put it into reverse, the majority of the time it will grind a bit before going into gear. It seems as the engine is reving too high when idle, or it could be my transmission...OR..it could be normal lol.

Also, when shifting, there's a half-second delay before it will go in gear. So say I'm in 2nd and shift to 3rd, when I get to the 3rd spot, it will stop...then click into gear. Is that normal?

Thanks!

Reply to
Heineken

On a standard tranny....mmmmm....not so much.

Sounds like a possible problem with the collar or with the synchro(s).

(Just a guess from the description. Would have to drive it.)

GLK9MM

Sounds like the clutch isn't fully disengaging. Might want to check the fluid level in the slave cylinder and maybe bleed it to make sure there is no air in the system.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Reply to
Ying-Yang

I would say it's pretty normal... My 97 V6 did exactly the same thing. The reverse gear is not synchronized... therefore, when u push in the clutch it's still spinning for a little bit, and when u put it into reverse it grinds a bit until it stops. Try throwing it into 5th, and then reverse, and I bet it won't grind anymore.

Use the 5th synchronizer to stop the input spinning, and it won't grind.

Reply to
Roadkill98z28

might want to check to see if the clutch is completely disengaging.

Reply to
Dennis .

Not to be a complete dick, but really.....how many posts does it take to reiterate what I've already said?

GLK9MM

Ying-Yang Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

I thought the reverse gears are not syncronized. They're not on my S10, and you don't normally shift into reverse while it's going down the road....so there's no need for them to be.

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

About the same thing I was thinking... All of them at the same time, and suddenly more grinding going into reverse, too? Too much of a coincidence. I'd focus on the clutch.

The Vampire, "Muffin Man"

Reply to
The Vampire Muffin Man