Master Cylinder Gushing, 88 GTA

Hi,
I noticed something surprising today while working on my brakes. I had the hood up, and could see the master cylinder, which is translucent, so that I
could see the level of the brake fluid. I had the m c closed up. Whenever I pumped the brake pedal, I saw brake fluid spurt up inside the master cylinder. It was spurting up on the side of the m c facing me.
Is this normal ?
Thanks
yes