Maybe fixing idle probs....

Hey everyone,
Slight update... got fed up with the car stalling, so I decided to take it into my own hands. Sunday I grabbed my shop manual and my tools and headed
out to the car. I took off the idle air control module and found it to be full of carbon and not looking the greatest itself. So I bout a new part for that and its ready to be installed.
Next I decided to check out the MAF, which was not very clean, and I removed that. I then saw the condition of the throttlebody and it was disguisting! So I tore that apart and soacked it in carb cleaner to try to get all that carbon off. Looks MUCH shinnier now.
My question is, can I unbolt the plenum so I can clean the rest if that out, it was disguisting as well, without causing any problems? If I can, is there any more gaskets or other parts that will need to be replaced if I do unbolt the plenum?
Thanks. -Geno
Nevermind... I put it all back together and started it up.. and everything was ok...I let it warm up to normal temp and the idle was between 850 and 900.. took it for a drive and ran fine... just idle was a little high...
Then I think I might have been brain dead, because when I got back, with the engine still running, I popped the hood and loosened the IAC valve thinking that would lower the idle a little... well.. now its back to the rough idle and its actually stalling faster now... grr. Did I ruin the IAC by doing what I did?
-Geno
snipped-for-privacy@uwplatt.REMOVE.edu says...

Did you do the IAC calibration procedure? It should tell you how in the service manual.
The IAC is a stepper motor. It will move the pintle in or out in small increments to adjust the idle air circuit flow. Loosening it will just cause a vacuum leak.
Dennis Smith