Mazda RX-8

I was reading the RX-8 Forum. Just to see the latest batch of rotary suckers flail about like freshly caught trout on a hot dock...
Well it seems like someone over there put a new Mazda RX-8 up on a
DynoJet and recorded the following not so impressive numbers: 178hp and 123lb/ft of torque. Pretty UN-impressive for a $30,000 "sports" car.
Maybe Mazda should rename that thing "Delorian" install a flux capacitor and drive it back 18 years. Because those with those output numbers it sure isn't going to complete today...
Seems like a lot of $$$ for so few ponies, of course... this could be your opportunity to offer an LS 1 or 2 conversion kit!
Kate
| I was reading the RX-8 Forum. Just to see the latest batch of rotary | suckers flail about like freshly caught trout on a hot dock... | | Well it seems like someone over there put a new Mazda RX-8 up on a | DynoJet and recorded the following not so impressive numbers: 178hp | and 123lb/ft of torque. Pretty UN-impressive for a $30,000 "sports" | car. | | Maybe Mazda should rename that thing "Delorian" install a flux | capacitor and drive it back 18 years. Because those with those output | numbers it sure isn't going to complete today...
Bah.. sports cars don't need high HP numbers.. just have to be quick.. I even consider the Miata a sports car.. As for the 'delorian' (DeLorean by the way).. Favourite car of all time.. :)
SVTKate wrote:

less than 200hp? thats pretty poor. From what I understand a rotary engine should put out a but more than that.

"Maybe Mazda should rename that thing "Delorian" install a flux capacitor and drive it back 18 years. Because those with those output numbers it sure isn't going to complete today..."
^^^^ that is about the freaking funniest thing I've read all day. bahahaahahahhaaha :DD

You know what is more impressive is the new Camry. You know that little bomb eats late model F bodies for breakfast and funniest of all, it has more US content.

more
There ya go, Nouveau WT. Here's a guy who's way better at this stuff than you. Give it up, already.
dwight
Its still doing 0-60 in 5.9
LennysEleven Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and

Out of curiosity (And the desire to get the group back on topic. <G>), do you know your 1/4 mile times? What mods you got?
NOI
Gentlemen, meet John Tarver...a self proclaimed genius in his own mind, and the resident F-body group troll.
He has been hit one time too many by a flyback transformer repairing TVs for a living..
(sits back and waits for Tarvers classic rip off old lady line, or something to that effect....)

more
: > Bah, you beat me to it. I wrote that reply like 6hrs. ago and : > forgot to : > send it. Goob must have felt it was safe to climb back into the : > water since the Rock-5 haven't really made their presence felt in a : > while. : > : > Alas, I too wait for a reply from the ever quick witted Goob. : : You and SBM forgot about the time TarverBot started talking about : gay bars in his town, and listing street names... : : Funny thing is, I bet he gets turned down by BOTH sexes. <G> : : NOI
That might explain a few things about Goob.
A little known fact about Goob's childhood is that to the eternal embarrassment of his parents, they had three kids...one of each.
Patrick wrote:

or so. Not so bad. Like a 4k upcharge, though.
The IT guy here at work just bought the RX8 6 speed. he tossed me the keys last week and I took it for a spin. yep.....no torque at all. It redlines way up there at 9 or 9.5k and supposedly you can't feel anything below 6k. It's also programmed for lowered HP break-in for the first 2k miles.
It lookes just ok to me. The hood and fenders looked weird to me from the drivers viewpoint. Overall I don't like it too much.
for the $33k he paid i'll take a new Cobra.....thank you.
Marc

No offence intended at all, but I can't imagine a person that's interested in a Cobra being a potential RX-8 customers. To me at least, these are very different cars for very different people.

I never said I was a potential customer. Not even near the list of what I would buy.
I just took a drive for the helluvit and posted my opinion.

|The IT guy here at work just bought the RX8 6 speed. he tossed me the |keys last week and I took it for a spin. yep.....no torque at all. |It redlines way up there at 9 or 9.5k and supposedly you can't feel anything |below 6k. It's also programmed for lowered HP break-in for the first 2k |miles. | |It lookes just ok to me. The hood and fenders looked weird to me from the |drivers viewpoint. Overall I don't like it too much. | |for the $33k he paid i'll take a new Cobra.....thank you. | |Marc
I have to agree. For $33K there are a lot of really good choices, the RX8 being just one of them. It's technically interesting, but the styling is different without being great. For a lot less (& negotiable) money is Miata is very attractive, for example. My affinity for rotaries comes from racing the 1st gens, although I think a lot of the 3rd gens.
Rex