Muffling Effect of Catalytic Converter

I have a 1985 Z-28 5.0L TPI. I was wondering if the catalytic converter contributes any significant exhaust noise reduction. I recently replaced both the original catalytic converter and the
muffler on my car. I noticed that the exhaust noise is noticeably louder now and has a different pitch to it too. Since I have replaced the muffler several times before from the same service center without the noise change I suspect the catalytic converter as the culprit. The original catalytic converter was larger with two chambers. The new converter has only one small chamber so I'm thinking this must be why the exhaust noise is so much louder. Does this mean the replacement muffler should have been "matched" to the newer catalytic converter to get the proper noise reduction?
Nightbreaker
Yes, cats affect exhaust timbre, tone and volume just like mufflers do.
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 23:50:47 -0400, Nightbreaker

Okay the cat does affect the whole sound an' all of the car but I'm wondering why that would be a problem. It shouldnt be a ridiculouse difference, unless there is a bad weld somewhere and the exhaust is leaking. But if your car's got balls why not let them be heard a little. Tom 1986 WS6 Trans Am 2002 Hawk Convertable